Author Topic: Do artist apply sale tax.....  (Read 2887 times)

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
Do artist apply sale tax.....
« on: July 03, 2011, 02:14:42 AM »
to are services? i, im florida and was told not to but my wife thinks other wise.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Do artist apply sale tax.....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:11:25 AM »
It's up to the regulations of your state.
Here in California, yes. The place I used to work for got hit for all of their art related sales tax and penalties  going back for years to their beginnings after an audit, resulting in a major chunk of change.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:04:11 AM »
That answer is a yes and a no.

It's yes, if you make art that is sold to the end user. This would be where someone bought a painting or you did a wall mural. That customer is the end user.

The NO is in the case of foing art for screen printers.
Your customers ( screen printers) that are going to re-sell the art on tees, does not get charged.

Your Tee shirt customers (that are not re-selling) do get charged tax....but on the total or you could charge it itemized I guess. It all adds up the same.

If you do shirts for a restaurant that I'd selling the shirts at retail, they do not pay tax.

(in all cases) where someone is re-selling and not paying a tax., they ALL must have a up to date Tax I'D certificate. If it's from last year, it doesn't count. If ghetto can't find it, it doesn't count.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 07:51:19 AM »
Thanks dan and Andy. That is what I figured it was just my wife was needing some explanation of the tax law. What if the person I'm doing art for to is in another state, they don't get charged sales tax right?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 08:01:21 AM »
In Ohio, designing is considered as a service. No need to charge state tax. When I'm billing my customers, I always put design service or digitizing fees as a non-tax item. My tax guy have told me that is correct.
For you, there is no need to charge state tax to your customers outside Florida.