Author Topic: Discharge Ink for a base  (Read 3297 times)

Offline letteringguy

• Verified/Junior
Discharge Ink for a base
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »
My old partner Steve at Gotta Get It Designs got tired of the heavy feel you get when you put down a white base. It wasn't the bulletproof vest feel, but it was heavier than just white shirts. He started messing with discharge as a base for the plastisol and Wow, what a difference! After that anything that was at least 80% cotton is done that way. Now everything feels like a white screenprinted shirt!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Discharge Ink for a base
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 12:11:37 PM »
Is he using the straight WB discharge or one of the hybrids? And, what else does he need to do that is any different than usual (besides use a water resistant emulsion)?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline letteringguy

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »
He's using straight discharge with the different emulsion. After washing you can't tell the difference in the feel and it holds up like a light shirt!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
We've started using this technique and I've used straight discharge as well as a hybrid "plastcharge" product from Wilflex.  The straight discharge was a Jantex product, and the Wilflex was NF Plascharge mixed with a very soft white ink I had made.  The results were very similar and I almost prefered the wilflex plascharge because it was easier to use, easier to keep the ink well on auto filled properly.  The look and feel of the washed shirts were identical, even though the plascharge was mixed with a white plastisol ink.

We will begin using this for more and more jobs in the future.  This process really shines on jobs that are 5+ colors on darks that should be printed wet on wet.  Often times we need to flash after every 2-3 colors and with a 10 color auto, 2 flashes and a 7 color job, it's not possible without sending the job around multiple revolutions.  With a discharge underbase, you can run the job like it was on a white shirt and print more colors wet on wet, and often times we haven't had to use the second flash.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:41:24 PM »
I believe this is is gradually trending towards a common technique for all the obvious reasons above but guess what theres one more......ITS CHEAPER.
tp

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 03:31:56 PM »
We started using discharge for underbase last Spring but by the time Summer had come we had a lot of problems with ink drying in the screen. That was using a Wilflex product. We are now using Matsui and it is hot here already in central Texas. So far so good, but the real test comes in late July to August.
Dale Hoyal