Author Topic: Don't ya just love Corel  (Read 4337 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Don't ya just love Corel
« on: June 25, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »
First screen shot, yep the infamous greyed out spinning cursor. About a half hour of work and file has been saved repeatedly. OK no biggie I just end the process and reboot Corel and reopen the file. Happens a dozen times a day. But once in a blue moon I reopen the file and I get the second screen shot. Yep blank zilch nadda all freaking gone. Something tells me this doesn't happen in Illustrator.
"No man is an island"

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Don't ya just love Corel
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
While I keep current in both Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw has not been my program of choice since 8.0.....

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »
As an avid Illy user, I need to point out that you've just cursed yourself. The inexplicable does happen there too...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline aauusa

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
I get that alot on corelx6 64bit     

what is crazy is I do full dye jerseys which are very large files.  and the factory which print the bulk fabric uses illustrator to output.  So I have to save as a pdf then open in ai and re-save.  Now this was not an issue just inconvenience.  Then I switched from x4 to x6 and not when I do the same thing with all of the pdf setting the same in each program(same corel workspace).  the color from x6 come out not as a whole cmyk number (84-0-50-100) but rather as (84.5-0-55.2-98.8) just a small shift in the valuse to a decimal point but it makes a huge difference in the actuall color.  and to save it as an AI file from corel well forget that it is way to large of a file few 100 meg.  so now I have to back save as a x4 then open and save as a pdf and go from there.

what a time i had figuring this crap out.

But i love corel compared to AI   because I do not have any more time in the day to learn AI.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »
I am religious about saving as I work. I hit the save button every few minutes. 90% of the time when a crash happens I can just reopen the file. But occasionally the whole file will be corrupted like above, it sucks. I do not use the create save feature because it is known for also causing crashes, when you perform a function that may be complex and the auto save kicks in it will compete and freeze up. I know certain functions that tend to cause Corel to hang, I always save first especially anything with more than one node (joke kind of). It is the one and only thing I have wished from Corel for the last 6 or 7 years and that is tighten it up under the hood. It cannot handle nodes any where near as easily as Illustrator and it crashes for the most unexplainable reasons.

I am taking Illustrator classes but its still so damn hard for me to get used to and I am probably not going to pursue Illustrator since they will be subscription based.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
do you have it create an autobackup when you save?  that has saved us many a time, like today

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 04:32:58 PM »
I was putting the finishing touches on a design I had sep'd with simple seps raster the other day, last adjustment on the last color and boom. gone. X6 closed. i was taking it as a sign that I need to send the design out, so I sent it to netseps on friday, it's not even looked at yet and I need to run the job tomorrow...so now I have to start over...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 04:50:01 PM »
It's happened every once in a blue moon in Illy, but that's it.

If I had it happen all the time I would shoot the computer.

Every job I send to myseps is back within 24 hours, never fail.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »
On one of my computers Illy and Photoshop don't play well together if open at the same time, don't know why, they use to work fine, must have been something I did, but you won't crash like Corel does as often...but it happens

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »
I am religious about saving as I work. I hit the save button every few minutes.

Being an IT grunt, I would suggest you always do "SAVE AS" and keep bumping a suffix number.  You can always delete the old suffixes later, right? 

Hey, maybe you even want to revert back to an earlier save version to go off in a different direction.

P.S. I do the same thing in P.S.  ;)
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 12:32:10 AM »
I agree that Draw crashed more than Illustrator when I used them both, but it's been years since I've used Draw... but that's beside the point. Neither program should crash THAT much.

Something tells me the problem is elsewhere on your computer. A bad font or plug-in perhaps. Try uninstalling and re-installing, maybe?
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 10:54:37 AM »
My Corel locks up daily...Personally, I lay the blame on the fact that I have Corel loaded on a PC....Macs are just plain better. Before I had the opportunity to work on one, I would ask those fortunate few non-PC users that I would encounter, why Apple equipment is considered to be better. Nobody could ever give me anything definitive. Having now been on "both sides of the fence", the analogy I use is one possibly more familiar to "gearheads"...If you want your car to be faster, you yank the old straight six, and put a Chevy V-8 in it...If you want it to be fast AND smooth, one should go with a Cadillac V-8. (Now, let's hear from the "Blue Oval boys") LOL!
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 11:05:46 AM »
Illy is not perfect either and especially when the CS6 came out it was pretty buggy, but nowhere near what is being said about Corel. I think Illy crashes once a month on my system now. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »
Macs are just plain better

Nope I disagree.  Most PC are comparable to Sub-compact cars.  They are built on price and that's it.  Get a decent PC and they crash MUCH less...almost never.  Since switching to thinkstations, we have virtually no problems with system crashes.  I would say I have the most, but I also run the most on my system, hands down.  I really shouldn't run so much, but I have a hard time closing programs, it's just in my DNA

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »
Macs are just plain better

Nope I disagree.  Most PC are comparable to Sub-compact cars.  They are built on price and that's it.  Get a decent PC and they crash MUCH less...almost never.  Since switching to thinkstations, we have virtually no problems with system crashes.  I would say I have the most, but I also run the most on my system, hands down.  I really shouldn't run so much, but I have a hard time closing programs, it's just in my DNA

I agree people often compare a 2k mac to a $600 PC and wonder why one runs better?  Its all about the parts inside of them folks.  PC's are VERY stable when built right.  If you run out to best buy and buy a pc then ya you got some crashes coming.  Good luck with that.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube