Author Topic: Trying to point a friend in the right direction.  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Nick Bane

Trying to point a friend in the right direction.
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
So im trying to help a friend who hasnt had much of any experience in other shops.  He wants to start stepping up his game and moving his business forward and not just be another "guy down the street who prints shirts".   So im posting this pic to see what would happen in other shops if any of you guys were to find this in your shop.  thanks for chiming in.

This is the white and black plastisol by the press.
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline Nick Bane

Re: Trying to point a friend in the right direction.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »
would this fly in your shop?  what would you do if you were to find this in your shop?  thanks.
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »
I called my guy in to see this.  He has only been printing for a year and is admittedly sloppy and feels like if he LOOKS at plastisol, even from across the room, it will be on him.  He walked in my office and admittedly blurted out "HOLY CRAP!"  which was followed up with "Who's shop is that?!" and "I thought I was bad!"  He ended it with walking away saying "That is disgusting".

Let me also remind you that I just talked to him about our possible new shop and how it will be kept UBER clean and his reaction was "That is why we have Amber"  She was a friend of theirs that came in and did some house keeping stuff every day for a while but hasn't had the time to do it any more.  So he's certainly NOT a neat freak and our ink area isn't that great... granted we are in a TIGHT spot here, but to me, all the more reason!

I had to spot out a HUGE 3"x3" smudge of black in on a white shirt that was in a stack the other day... we both still don't know how it happened and can't find the source. :(

Hopefully that answers your question in a round about way. ;)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »
I also agree that this is disgraceful. I also wondered if you had sneaked in to my place and snapped that pic especially since my new dog seems very dedicated to his security position.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »
I've seen huge shops that were filthy gross. Like "how do you get a single shirt in here, printed, and back out without
covering it in ink" gross. But they pumped product out all day every day. Not that it's right, just that it happens.

But yeah, that wouldn't fly here. We're not "eat off the ink room floor" clean but somewhere in between.

To be fair, we're working with highly pigmented and viscous thermoplastics that don't dry.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »
You can look at that two ways this guy is F'ing busy and ain't got time to clean or he just don't give a rip and rolls with it...my shop isn't the cleanest but I try to curve the mess I make.

D
I'll also learn to always close or put a cap on your ink buckets unless you let it full of lint and dust, and there ain't a screen print shop in the world that do not have to control lint and dust
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:28:23 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
I own and paid for everything at my shop, so there is NO WAY I would let this fly.  We run a pretty tight ship over here.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »
I hate to admit it but we have been there, maybe worse... I have started a clean as you policy because it was out of control. We just get so slammed sometimes. I have a small crew and we have some months that are 25+ days that are 18 hours or more in a row. Sometimes that half hour of sleep is too valuable.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »
You can look at that two ways this guy is F'ing busy and ain't got time to clean or he just don't give a rip and rolls with it...my shop isn't the cleanest but I try to curve the mess I make.

D

Reminds me of my old man's offset shop when I was in college. It got cleaned when it got moved. I asked him why his was such a mess when quick-print operations had nice places, and he said the clean shops weren't so busy.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
I've been there, but it wouldn't be there for long. Sometimes you gotta do something else, but I wouldn't go home with that there.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Nick Bane

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 09:14:39 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  Now we'll see if they make a difference.  Keep em comin too, thanks!
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 10:40:36 PM »
the problem with messy shops is they slow you down.  when you have to stop and clean your hands before you touch shirts, how much time is that saving over keeping the ink knives clean in the first place?  Same with buckets?  I get livid when the outsides of my buckets are inked up.  It's carelessness, pure and simple.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 02:44:59 AM »
I'm slowly, slowly getting my half of the shop clean at my new job. Well new as in 4 months. It was a lint and ink covered hell hole when I started.

If it were up to me, the place would be German laboratory clean. I use to mop my entire shop every month. The screen room once a week.

That pic...well if it were my shop and someone treated it like that: fired. Instantly.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »
Not gonna fly in my shop.  We've been extremely busy the last few months so our shop is not very clean compared to the past, lot's of lint on heads 1 and 10, lint everywhere really .  We usually have an hour or so on Friday afternoon once a month to mop the floor and wipe down the press but those opportunities are getting fewer.  Ink messes get cleaned up as we go.  Nothing worse than getting ink contamination in the white bucket...furiousness.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Get Shirts

Trying to point a friend in the right direction.
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 10:43:12 PM »
I'm with Alan, no amount of busy could excuse that mess.