Author Topic: I have FastRip without the dongle  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

I have FastRip without the dongle
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
Ok...let me ask something here...in 2004 when I got into screen printing I purchased FASTrip (and FASTfilms)...the FASTrip worked perfect and I still have the original packaging and it all looks new still....cut to 2005 Hurricane Katrina...I evacuate...I take what I can with me and some of the things I took was my epson 3000 and my pc's..its all i could take pertaining to my start up biz............cut to 2011 I get my equipment out of storage and get my biz set up again (yres..it was 6 years dormant) and i have NO IDEA where i put the USB dongle for the FASTrip..I dont know if its lost in the evac...or i stored it somewhere when I was packing up???..I have NO CLUE!!!..but i looked EVERYWHERE and can not locate it...so I bought T-Rip in 2011 and now I have an OYO thermal image setter on its way here arriving next week (used off ebay).

So my comment is this: I would like to sell my FASTrip but how can I do it without the dongle? I believe i looked into buying a new dongle but from what I understand you just cant buy a dongle for FASTrip.....so do I throw this away or can it be salvaged? I paid in 2004 $1,400 for fastfilms and fastrip...So im thinking the fastrip cost me $500???? I really cant recall. I was thinking if I can get my hands on a dongle or get it to work somehow I'd sell it for like $200 or so?

So how about it? can it be saved? I'm actually tired of looking at the packaging to be honest hahaha..it sets there collecting dust and if it can get working i'd like to hand it off to someone up and coming to help them out with a good deal.
Mark

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
Re: I have FastRip without the dongle
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:25:45 PM »
I doubt it's worth $200 bucks.  FastRip can no longer can be updated and doesn't work on new computers.  I think the last operating system it will work on is VISTA.

Anyways.  I have a dongle for FastRip and would sell it to you for like $20 bucks.
I just got Accurip and a EPSON 4900.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:39:37 PM »
I doubt it's worth $200 bucks.  FastRip can no longer can be updated and doesn't work on new computers.  I think the last operating system it will work on is VISTA.

Anyways.  I have a dongle for FastRip and would sell it to you for like $20 bucks.
I just got Accurip and a EPSON 4900.

you would sell me the dongle for $20 or the dongle and fastrip for $20? I'm confused hahaha....if you mean JUST the dongle, doesn't each dongle link up with its own unique copy of fastrip? Meaning the dongles aren't interchangeable? I am guessing..I have no idea.

What version of fastrip do you have? mine is 7.0

I just emailed FilmMaker asking them if I can upgrade....I was able to do it with a FASTrip PRO I had...I sold it for $110, with the dongle, but it could be upgraded to FilmMaker....I let it got for $110 because that's what I bought it for not realizing the PRO only works on ONE printer and its not the epson 3000. Took me a year to sell it. FastRIP 7.0 could be used with multiple printers if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I am just trying to get it functioning so I can sell it.
Mark

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:07 AM »
Have you considered writing to the Freseners, the publishers of FasrRIP? They may help, or it may be too expensive, but either way, they'll have the best answer for you. I guess the real question is, who's going buy it?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:51:20 AM »
Have you considered writing to the Freseners, the publishers of FasrRIP? They may help, or it may be too expensive, but either way, they'll have the best answer for you. I guess the real question is, who's going buy it?

Steve

sure did....they no longer address fastrip since they no longer are associated with it.
Mark

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »
Figures. They wouldn't even point you in the right direction? Jeez...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
i think it's made by cadlink, they might support it, it would be for a fee of course.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »
Funny considering in their videos they claimed "LIFETIME" support.

To me, that would speak about my word, but I guess everyone is different!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »
I remember years ago when USSPI was still in business they stressed heavily not to ever lose the fast rip dongle not only because it would be expensive but I believe they mentioned to the dongle itself is not supported by them but by cad link itself, so losing it was a really big hassle. I doubt Fresner today would have any ability to help with fast rip dongles. I know Cad Link will offer upgrade pricing from Fast Rip but with out the dongle probably not.
"No man is an island"

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »
I emailed CADLink and without the dongle they can't do anything for me but did offer me the filmmaker at a discount..I cant even get the upgrade without the dongle..I have to simply buy a whole new software.

So it looks like my FastRIP 7.0 is completely useless now without a dongle....i should just throw it away.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:00:58 PM by Mark @ Hurricane Printing »
Mark

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 11:11:10 AM »
Throwing it away is the surest way to make the dongle show up.  ;D

I have a full version of Fastrip 8 with the Dongle if anybody is interested.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »
Throwing it away is the surest way to make the dongle show up.  ;D

I have a full version of Fastrip 8 with the Dongle if anybody is interested.

This is exactly what i am afraid of!!...But i no longer need fastrip anymore..I have T-Rip and an OYO thermal image setter...but i'd like to get it running so i can hand it off to someone....I emailed two companies that can make me dongle but one wanted $1,000 and the other wanted $1,500!!!!!!..thats INSANE!!!!!!!!.
Mark

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 12:25:55 PM »
It's a small box, stash it away and when you find the dongle you can probably flog it for $100.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
I have no valuable input to the topic but... I have an oyo techstyler and I LOVE it. That will be one of the best decisions you made.
Matt
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »
I have no valuable input to the topic but... I have an oyo techstyler and I LOVE it. That will be one of the best decisions you made.
Matt

I got the OYO LIBERATOR GS618 Thermal Imagesetter and RIP Kit 7.1 w/computer & monitor/500 ft of film...off ebay...it arrives this friday.
Mark