Author Topic: Polyone and Wilflex has lost their mind!  (Read 7696 times)

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Polyone and Wilflex has lost their mind!
« on: September 19, 2013, 08:37:49 AM »
As a long time user of Wilflex brand inks, I am sorry to say I must seek other lines of ink.  My last purchase of a gallon of epic vegas gold was around $90, today they are telling me almost $200 for a gallon.  You have lost your mind!  Why would anyone pay that?  The IC comparison is like $70.   Ridiculous!  I loved you Wilflex, why would you do this to me after 16 years?  Rutland, you out there?  Are you hearing this?
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Polyone and Wilflex has lost their mind!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:51:57 AM »
I can make this in DC for under $30

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
I'm curious ro see what I got charged dor a gall of wil super lemon yellow that I ordered yesterday. The price hikes are a lil nuts. We've been loving the Rutland Street fighter lb white. Guess whst. Rutland buys thier resins from polyone, but thier ink is still in the realistic price range.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:13:22 AM »
We may be forced to go DC and WB if plastisol keeps rising like this.  I think the last time I bought wilflex spot colors I said the same thing, and I only had to pay $120 for super genesis super red.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
Epic Vegas gold on Nazdars site is showing $228 holy crap!
"No man is an island"

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
when i plugged in my ingredient cost into the wilflex software and calculated the cost for 4000 grams of vegas gold - came to less than $40

we use the Epic PC system

even factoring the labor cost into making a gallon, plus a bucket - still comes in under $45

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »
I just did the same thing, and adjusted base to minimum for highest opacity, and I still got 65.00 for a gallon. That's Epic PC. Checked pricing as of today before doing any calculations. Of course that's using costs from my distributor, not yours. Again, in the Epic PC line. (I know, Tony. WB is still less expensive  :D)
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »
Xenon Lemon Yellow $43 per gallon.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »
I must admit that I don't buy nearly as much ink, nearly as often, but have noticed a gradual creep up. But, can Wilflex be ahead of the curve?  Could this new pricing have any proportional validity, or is it similar to the petroleum industry seemingly adding to the price of gasoline ten times the amount of the increase to a barrel of crude?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 11:16:22 AM »
Used to make WB Black for....................................$3.00 per gal.
Not kidding 4 ingredients plus a lot of water. Yes we have a homogenizer.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »
Used to make WB Black for....................................$3.00 per gal.
Not kidding 4 ingredients plus a lot of water. Yes we have a homogenizer.

That's awesome!

How much is it now? $10-15 a gallon? still making it?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 11:41:21 AM »
No not making it any more. Rather harsh on mesh

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 01:00:15 PM »
It sounds like that is now a discontinued color.  Seems really odd to discontinue vegas gold but that's what it looks like.  If you look at Dallas Green, it's 73.24 a gal but Super Dallas Green, which is discontinued, is 292.98.  I think Wilflex is saying they're done mixing these spots but will make you a bucket if you really, really, really want it. 

I looked at buying their spots awhile ago and, like others with the PC system, found it far cheaper to mix our own at almost any level of pigment loading and I don't like dealing with sudden discontinuations.  They're also charging way too much for the super opaques, that's just an opaque base with max/higher pigment load, the super opaques have no low bleed or otherwise special characteristics, just thicker HO ink.   As Dave said, this is around $65/gallon to make, depending on your shop's base and pig costs. Very reasonable for an HO ink.  $120/gal, not so reasonable.

I think it's really time for them to decide what their stock color set is going to be or they're going to lose a lot of printers who buy pre-mix colors frequently.

And, not to sh!t on the parade Alan, but going high solids, PVC free if significantly higher in cost than phthalate-free plastisol.  Not for regular WB/DC but to be able to print on the wide variety of garments you can with plasti using an HSA type system cost more, gram for gram.  Still digging into it...I'm sure there are other factors to weigh.

Offline scott316

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
WOW!!! That is some crazy pricing for some ink.  We have matched some of the main Wilflex colors with our Excalibur line. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than wilflex . We can also match other brands as well. All we need is a wet sample of the color, and our color matcher can make it. He has been matching colors for 8+ years.  If you need pricing call our office at 678-838-7712.

Wilflex colors with our ink!!!!
National Red
Lt Royal
Bears Navy
Scarlet
Dolphin Orange
Lemon Yellow
Dallas Green
Kelly Green
Spice Brown
Russell Purple
Russell Gray
Contact Blue

We at Spot Color Supply Stand by our product 100% . If you try any of our products and don’t like it we will refund the product and the shipping.
Scott Thompson
404-583-4903

Offline Rob Coleman

Polyone and Wilflex has lost their mind!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »
Hey Dirk. Zoo city is spot on. This is a non-standard color hence the price.

When Wilflex converted from Genesis to Epic they discontinued a number of colors. They had like 80 and now have 49 plus the specialties - still more than the other major brands. I think Rutland has 20?  Not sure.

The logic is simple really. Unless you use a mixing system, how many standard colors would you offer your customers?  10?  20?  100?  300?  It is a matter of offering enough to satisfy most while keeping your working capital as low as you can. Always a balance.

This should not be on our website at SourceOne since it is a non-standard. Left over I guess. We have some cleaning up to do!
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com