Author Topic: Permanent Blockout on Roller Frames  (Read 1875 times)

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
Permanent Blockout on Roller Frames
« on: October 17, 2013, 09:51:30 AM »
Anyone doing this  /  what are you using? Does it interfere with when you retension your mesh?

To clarify, I mean using it around the edges to eliminate any open areas where I can't coat emulsion such as corners

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Permanent Blockout on Roller Frames
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:06:43 AM »
We have always used the 2 part adhesive for permanent block out on the perimeter of statics. But don't know if that would work on rollers,  you would think it would let you not retention them. 
I am interested to see if people have something that works!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:28:29 AM »
I know this is slightly off topic, but I've been thinking of blocking out our 23x31 statics for a while.  What is the hands down best blockout (regardless of price) when it comes to holding up the longest to reclaiming and lots of discharge, and ease of use?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
This is what we use:
http://nwgraphic.com/family.php?id=LS-850&dd=LIQUID-SEAL&cat=liquid-seal

There very well may be something better out there, we just had some of it here and it worked. Been using it ever since. It lasts longer than your screen will.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:41:07 AM »
and you're using it with discharge, no issues with reclaim etc?  How do you handle the edge of the blockout?  Do you overlap the emulsion by a bit and tape the top or both sides or no tape?  Just want to know how others handle it.  We will likely still tape due to how easy it makes cleanup, but it would help us a lot with ink getting under or around tape in the corners.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »
Discharge, Plastisol, Acrylic, you name it! Clean the screens as much as you want! That stuff will outlast your screen without hesitation! I usually set it up so the screens are blocked out 1/2" or so into where the emulsion will overlap. The amount of tape you will use drops something serious!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »
Awesome.  I am going to order this now.  How do you apply it?  Mask off with blue painters tape and card or foam brush it on?  Squeegee side down?

This may be a dumb question, but is it clear or colored?  I would prefer to be able to see it.  Could I tint it in some easy way if it is clear?

edit: have you tried http://nwgraphic.com/family.php?id=SS-1123&dd=BLOCKOUT&cat=blockout

It comes in Blue, which would be great if I switch from Aquasol HV to HVP so I could see both and where the overlap etc.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:59:16 PM by mimosatexas »

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 02:09:59 PM »
I published antire article on the tapeless screen (static) will try to find it but it was about 12 ys ago

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »
Awesome.  I am going to order this now.  How do you apply it?  Mask off with blue painters tape and card or foam brush it on?  Squeegee side down?

This may be a dumb question, but is it clear or colored?  I would prefer to be able to see it.  Could I tint it in some easy way if it is clear?

edit: have you tried http://nwgraphic.com/family.php?id=SS-1123&dd=BLOCKOUT&cat=blockout

It comes in Blue, which would be great if I switch from Aquasol HV to HVP so I could see both and where the overlap etc.

I just add a couple drops of food coloring. I actually like it to be a different color, that way it is easier to see where there is not a generous overlap or any overlap at all.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
My only knock against roller frames- all that damn tape.  I wish it were cost effective for us to make our own statics and use perm blockout and no tape but unless we became a local supplier of frames I don't see that happening.