Author Topic: What are you doing to beat the heat??  (Read 6588 times)

Offline Scobey Peterman

What are you doing to beat the heat??
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »
We might start a couple of hours earlier.

Quality over Quantity

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What are you doing to beat the heat??
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »
printing nekkid.

Actually, I've been scheduling screen printing in the AM and digital printing and embroidery in the afternoon.  Works well.  Turn off the oven after lunch.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 11:54:58 AM »
I definitely try to schedule printing for the coolest times. Having my shop on my residential property and working solo even allows midnight madness and operating like an after-hours club when necessary.

Frees me up to veg out here more as well!  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:09:49 PM »
No changes. We consider this time of year, Pre-Winter. In another 5 months, it could be 135+ degrees colder here.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:10:46 PM »
last night...I printed for 1.5 hours naked...it did feel weird gotta tell you that

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
At night it hasn't been too bad.  It's the humidity here that is the killer.  I am sure that is true everywhere about right now.

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:13:40 PM »
Heat?!  What heat?
We're still waiting for summer to get here.  Been averaging about 15 deg. below normal all year.  If we're lucky we might break 80 today.  Have only broken 90 a few days this year.  When the pool in the backyard is too cold even for the kids, in mid July, you know somethings screwy.

Offline shellyky

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »
36" and 42" blower fans to help circulate the air.  Ive been wearing basically nothing and hoping the neighbors dont see when i flash the fan to relieve the 'swoobs' ...also keep forgetting to bring in my camelbak--wouldn't be the first time i printed wearing it. LOL

Offline Clark

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
I turned the A/C on.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »
about $300 a month in AC bills. 74 degrees and low humidity in the shop. It's 105-110 heat index outside. The warehouse is not AC'd and it's in the low 80's.

I figured, the price I pay for the AC comes back in better work conditions thus higher productivity and higher morale. We were lucky to find the space that was already setup, otherwise it would have been tens of thousands of dollars to install everything needed (two industrial AC units and drop ceilings). We are air conditioning about 3,000 square feet of production space and offices. I am wearing long pants 'cause it gets cold and had a wool hat on for last few days!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 12:56:10 PM »
We just set a new AC on the roof yesterday. Got it wired and running today. Waiting to see how it's going to handle things. I had to send people home early yesterday. It was about 105 degrees and 40% humidity in here yesterday. We'll pay a lot for the unit, and to run it. But I won't have dead bodies laying on my floor at the end of the day. I'll be happy if we can keep it around 80-85 degrees in the shop. Small area with 2 Sprint 2000s and 6 IR flashes and toss in three quartz. It doesn't matter what time we start, it just plain gets hot. Hoping for better employee moral thus more production.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »
We just set a new AC on the roof yesterday. Got it wired and running today. Waiting to see how it's going to handle things. I had to send people home early yesterday. It was about 105 degrees and 40% humidity in here yesterday. We'll pay a lot for the unit, and to run it. But I won't have dead bodies laying on my floor at the end of the day. I'll be happy if we can keep it around 80-85 degrees in the shop. Small area with 2 Sprint 2000s and 6 IR flashes and toss in three quartz. It doesn't matter what time we start, it just plain gets hot. Hoping for better employee moral thus more production.

we are at 94 with 60% humidity going towards 75% humidity. You can cut the air with a knife!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »
we are at 94 with 60% humidity going towards 75% humidity. You can cut the air with a knife!

I'm afraid to go out today, it will be a scorcher.
Luckily, I'm on vacation from Saturday. I will not complain about 90 degree weather when I'm on the beach :)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 01:13:53 PM »
Since finally replacing the dehumidifier in my screen catalog, I have been paying much more attention to our relative humidity in general.
Today, at 10:00 am, 38% outside, 49% inside.
Outside temp is 82, and the shop is dark and not operating this morning so the temp in there doesn't mean much right now. Art and computer room is in the house, air conditioned.  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline T Shirt1

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 01:14:51 PM »
Start early and try get the dryer shut down as early as possible.
steve