Author Topic: Magna Super White review  (Read 3315 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Magna Super White review
« on: October 30, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »
Got a "gallon" of it in to try recently.  Smells different from CCI/Sericol, kinda like latex paint.  Very nice, "watery" ink right out of the bucket, excellent flow characteristics.  Printed well and, very notably, did not fling around all over the place on the auto and crawl up the backside of the flood bar like CCI does.   Standard everything- tested on 150/48, 60/90/60 blade, 6% activator (but with minimal water added since the ink did not require thinning), adequate penetration, etc.

Didn't win out in a side by side with CCI D-White however.  I was rooting for it but the CCI wins for brightness across a variety of fabrics.  Not by a ton but by far enough to stick with it. We'll have to save this bucket of Magna for lighter garments, really good dischargers or jobs looking for a softer white I reckon.  The Magna did produce very, very nice prints, just not as bright as our current DC white and it does cost more. Again, my favorite part of the magna was how nice it worked on the auto.

This has come up quite a bit in side by side testing- other inks have their benefits such as a softer finish but the CCI inks tend to do the best over the widest variety of fabrics.  That's key for us since we print on a very wide range of garments in here. 

Does anyone know of a penetrant that gets along with CCI/Sericol DC ink chemistry?  I really want to get a bunch and add it to our D-White instead of thinning with water.  Seems like that's all D-White needs is a little extra pentrant to really start performing.  The stuff is far too thick out of the bucket and we currently thin with around 6-8% water.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Magna Super White review
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:22:14 PM »
Printgen M from Matsui.

Artist is out today so I'm doing things I haven't done in awhile, otherwise I'd explain more.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »
Printgen M from Matsui.

Artist is out today so I'm doing things I haven't done in awhile, otherwise I'd explain more.

Let me know when ya have time.  I saw some bad gnarliness when combining Matsui with CCI in a run, the stuff was freezing up in the screen. I was overprinting Matsui Silver onto CCI DC so maybe it's just the activator that sours the Matsui and maybe it's just the silver.  We do have a small amount of printgen here I could test with.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
Side by side here on stubborn heathers proved Rutland Super to be best. But thats us. It has a bluing agent in it. Old plastisol trick. 5% H20 and Bobs you're Uncle.
Your results may vary

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »
I'll have to get some Rutland Super in here to try.  How's the flow?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »
I'll have to get some Rutland Super in here to try.  How's the flow?

It's what we're using now. Thinner than the CCI. Personally I still like the CCI better, Rutland
is just easier to get in here.

I have seen CCI gum up, but only on super long runs where we weren't misting occasionally as we should have been.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 02:04:58 PM »
Sorry its White Plus........

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
Got a "gallon" of it in to try recently.  Smells different from CCI/Sericol, kinda like latex paint.  Very nice, "watery" ink right out of the bucket, excellent flow characteristics.  Printed well and, very notably, did not fling around all over the place on the auto and crawl up the backside of the flood bar like CCI does.   Standard everything- tested on 150/48, 60/90/60 blade, 6% activator (but with minimal water added since the ink did not require thinning), adequate penetration, etc.

Didn't win out in a side by side with CCI D-White however.  I was rooting for it but the CCI wins for brightness across a variety of fabrics.  Not by a ton but by far enough to stick with it. We'll have to save this bucket of Magna for lighter garments, really good dischargers or jobs looking for a softer white I reckon.  The Magna did produce very, very nice prints, just not as bright as our current DC white and it does cost more. Again, my favorite part of the magna was how nice it worked on the auto.

This has come up quite a bit in side by side testing- other inks have their benefits such as a softer finish but the CCI inks tend to do the best over the widest variety of fabrics.  That's key for us since we print on a very wide range of garments in here. 

Does anyone know of a penetrant that gets along with CCI/Sericol DC ink chemistry?  I really want to get a bunch and add it to our D-White instead of thinning with water.  Seems like that's all D-White needs is a little extra pentrant to really start performing.  The stuff is far too thick out of the bucket and we currently thin with around 6-8% water.

Thanks for taking the time to conduct this testing, and for posting your results. 

IMHO we need more of this type of information sharing.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »
I agree Peter.  The strange part about DC ink is that each shop is going to have a different test outcome, even if print parameters and substrates are almost identical.  The dryer is perhaps the most important tool in printing this ink and every shop is going to vary a little there.  While our high, forced airflow electric dryer is adequate, I often wonder what our test results will be when we switch to a gas dryer. 

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
Very different per shop, I have tests of CCI, Sericol and Magna Super White side by side.  Magna beat all of them.   If you watered the Magna, that could be a problem, it doesn't need anything straight out of the bucket.   My opinion based on my tests.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »
Didn't water it down, just enough H20 to mix the activator into.  I've seen you post about it which inspired me to check it out actually.

Case in point I guess.  Others really like the Sericol HO white but it was not even a contender in here, CCI and Magna both blow it away.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 07:11:07 PM »
Same here, the Sericol white was the first true discharge ink I ever tried, based on other peoples pumping it up as da best.
Results were so unspectacular that I put off trying any discharge for almost 2 years afterward.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »
We have used the Rutland penetrant with CCI discharge prints and have no issues.

This is interesting because our results have the Rutland white performing much better to the CCI D-White.  I keep meaning to get some Manga Super White, I always forget. We just don't ever order anything from Nazdar(waiting for free shipping... wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;)) now I need to!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »
I'll probably just go for Rutland's penetrant if it plays well with CCI, thx.  I think it would big time improve a lot of their inks to add it, less stiff layer of ink on top, less pressure to print, better penetration.  In the case of D-white you absolutely have to add something to print it, it's like thick mayo out of the bucket, so it might as well be something that improves the print characteristics.

I do have a Rutland White DC sample coming and it'll go head to head with the CCI next.

eb, sericol's colors were super close, almost there but they were a little "blown out" looking to me whereas CCI d-base at 2x pig looks rich and vivid, covering over a larger range of fabrics and dye lots much better.  Sericol would likely be a go to for shops doing long runs of a single dye lot.....which happens like twice a year around here.  Honestly we could get by just boosting them a little with CCI pigs but that means mixing everything twice essentially and I'm not down with that. 

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
Hey Chris,
If you were using a metallic water base on top of a discharge print you will have problems no matter who makes its. For Rutland, CCI, and Matsui I have worked with all three for years (mixing and matching plenty of times) and like everything they have their ups and downs. Worked with Sericol and Permaset as well but they were hard to get. In the shop I was running as half owner CCI and Rutland worked best hands down. But that was with our gas dryer, mesh, operators, humidity, temperature, and of course the sun, stars, and moon in whatever orbit they were that day. That last part is a joke haha. And of course a very, very important overlooked variable where was the shirt made? But in my opinion and that is all it is Rutland and CCI are the two top contenders for ease of use and general all around best results. In several weeks I will be allowed to post a lot more frequently and about everything I want including issues like this. Right now as a few members are aware I am patiently waiting to get back into the game. But mixing and matching CCI and Rutland has never been a problem. Rutland is cool though that you only need one base. With CCI you need both. They should fix that