Author Topic: New lights in shop  (Read 1899 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
New lights in shop
« on: November 14, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »
We just had some new lights installed yesterday in the shop area, nothing fancy but man do they make a big difference, I can see everything much clearer now, really never knew how dark it was in there.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: New lights in shop
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 12:33:07 PM »
you actually spent MONEY on something?! Nice! ;D
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »
Ha Ha, yep I did and yep I'm a cheap azz LOL

D

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
COOL PICS.

No seriously, show us the pics.  I just did new LED lights myself.  It was sad how piss poor our lighting was.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
Sorry Brandt, not worth showing pics of 8 ft fluorescent lights, but hey they make a huge difference...

D

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »
We will go as well for LED in the whole work and office area soon. It`s so cheap to do and the savings are immense. Did I mention that we pay over here 5 times as much for electricity as you guys in the States.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »
Where you guys getting these LED lights? Last time I looked at some they were expensive! I know they are pennies to run, but the initial investment was pretty big.

Funny, I had thought about this last time I went to the Mall Of America with my wife, in the parking ramps they just upgraded ALL the lights to the LED "warehouse style"(18" or so circle) lights. There must be 300 lights per parking level, 8 levels I believe, and then times that by two for the other parking ramp. The operating savings alone must be insane, but that initial cost probably made some lighting companys day!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »
Where you guys getting these LED lights? Last time I looked at some they were expensive! I know they are pennies to run, but the initial investment was pretty big.

Funny, I had thought about this last time I went to the Mall Of America with my wife, in the parking ramps they just upgraded ALL the lights to the LED "warehouse style"(18" or so circle) lights. There must be 300 lights per parking level, 8 levels I believe, and then times that by two for the other parking ramp. The operating savings alone must be insane, but that initial cost probably made some lighting companys day!

Local supplier.  I'm certain I over paid but at least I can point fingers if something fails.  But they are bright as hell.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »
Try Econolight, e-conolight.com.

I have been working a couple days a week for the past few months on a large construction project getting equipment ready for the job. We have installed about 150 of the 144w flood light so far. Bright as the sun even in day light. The company has been using them for a few years now and swears by them.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »

We are going to buy directly of the manufacturer in China. A proper high bay LED light will cost us no more then $180. Need probably around 4 of them to get our place nice and bright.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »
We use LEDs anytime I replace a fixture. I also put motion sensors in areas like warehouse, break rooms, even restrooms, so if nobody is there, off they go
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 09:02:32 PM »
i've been buying replacement tubes on amazon.  try these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSJ2U8C/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you re-wire the existing troffer fixture by popping out the ballast and then follow the directions for how to run the wires and BAM!  done.  I find i need 2 of these instead of 4, sometimes i go 3 if the area could use some extra light.

they make 8' ones as well, i put some in the warehouse, they are good, but they are pricey.  the ROI isn't where it needs to be so I am doing those slowly, maybe a fixture a month.

go for the 5000k color temp, it's great for color matching.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »
Great lighting is essential, we're color merchants after all.  I always spend on it.  Have been very happy with T8s that have a high CRI.  How is the CRI on LEDs these days?  For me it would have to match the performance of properly spec'd T8 bulbs to switch. 

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
Good question and will they come down in price over time?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »
Great lighting is essential, we're color merchants after all.  I always spend on it.  Have been very happy with T8s that have a high CRI.  How is the CRI on LEDs these days?  For me it would have to match the performance of properly spec'd T8 bulbs to switch.

The CRI on the LED's I was looking at was between 80 and 83. What do you aim for?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com