Author Topic: Temp Sensing flashes  (Read 1563 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Temp Sensing flashes
« on: December 02, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »
Anyone using them and how well do they work in the real world?

I know SRoque, MHM (MSI) and M&R offer it. It sounds like a printers
dream come true, particularly for anyone using honeycomb pallets, where a one minute
stop on production can mean having to adjust flash times back up, particularly on a cold
day like today.

The concept is relatively simple, we've all seen non-contact thermometers, I'm just
wondering how it works out in the real world.

And, I hate to say it, but Arr Doubleyah Bee mentioned the idea years ago, long before I
ever saw it commercially available, though it may have been in the works.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Temp Sensing flashes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:58:45 PM »
wonder where he saw it.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »
HAha, yeah probably. Though even the most batchit crazy may have a decent idea every now and then.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »
Anyone using them and how well do they work in the real world?

I know SRoque, MHM (MSI) and M&R offer it. It sounds like a printers
dream come true, particularly for anyone using honeycomb pallets, where a one minute
stop on production can mean having to adjust flash times back up, particularly on a cold
day like today.

The concept is relatively simple, we've all seen non-contact thermometers, I'm just
wondering how it works out in the real world.

And, I hate to say it, but Arr Doubleyah Bee mentioned the idea years ago, long before I
ever saw it commercially available, though it may have been in the works.
We have had them out for about 18 years now and so far no complaints.
Rich Hoffman

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »
Seriously?

I'm assuming they haven't always interfaced with the press control?

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
Seriously?

I'm assuming they haven't always interfaced with the press control?
As prices of certain electronics came down the units were made to interface with the control panel. The new Red Chili D will be a big seller with some of the features it will have. Should be available by the LB show.
Rich Hoffman

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »
Ryan on the forum here has a few for the S.Roque, sounds like he likes them but maybe he will chime in....

I just got a quote on one also, seem like they would be a good deal especially if the press is not running consistently.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:48:45 PM »
I was just expounding on how nice a self-adjusting quartz would be today.   It would be huge and worth quite a bit of expense to have a unit that you could switch preset high/low temp allowances from the control panel.   Seems like a ton of our flash jobs are cotton to poly to god knows what.

When we were buying our quartz I spoke with anatol on this and they canned their temp sensing flashes since they didn't work.  Shocking.  The Cayenne has always had it right?  I'm guessing that one works and you simply set a temp range or target temp?

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:33:50 PM »
We have a Cayenne but it seemed flakey, so we don't use it.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Ryan

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
I have 3 of them for my SRoque. I have never run them "normal". They are always on "probe" to get the right temp. It certainly helps as my press gets run by one person 99% of the time and when you have to stop, the flashes come in real handy because they stay on longer to get to the temp needed. Plus with honeycomb boards any down time at all will allow them to cool. I honestly can't imagine running a press without them at this point, but then again I have never run all out in a true production setting. When there are frequent stops in the production, these are a life saver. Not sure they would necessarily benefit a shop that is spinning a press 8 hours a day where the down time is minimal at best. At least thats how I see it, though I am sure there are shops that would think it would be a huge help to have them.
~ryan

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »
If I remember right some M&R quartz flashes have a preheat setting that you can program using time vs temp.