Author Topic: Compressor humming for a few seconds, then tripping breaker - SOLVED!  (Read 4064 times)

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Our compressor tripped the breaker a bit ago when kicking in and after resetting everything, upon startup the motor hums for a few seconds and then the breaker trips again.  Trying to figure out if its a breaker issue, or worse a compressor issue.  This is our main compressor so we're out of luck while its down. 

Full disclosure, its a Husky 5HP model that we probably should have replaced a long time ago.  I also have a Curtis 3HP compressor (same size tank as the Husky) in storage but was under the impression from some very brief research that it may be underpowered for the press.  I'd be happy to put that one into action if it will work, as its probably much more suited for the job.  Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:56:31 PM by sqslabs »
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Compressor humming for a few seconds, then tripping breaker
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 12:29:36 PM »
someone much more qualified then me, and probably way smarter, will chime in, but i think your motor is dead.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline broadway

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 12:41:53 PM »
It has happened to me and i replcaced the breaker and it worked.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
someone much more qualified then me, and probably way smarter, will chime in, but i think your motor is dead.

I was worried someone was gonna say that..  :-\

It has happened to me and i replcaced the breaker and it worked.

We've had a breaker replaced one time before and it fixed the issues but at that time it was tripping either immediately on startup or during the cycle.  The difference this time is the humming and the motor not spinning at all from what I can tell.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:04:43 PM »
see if the compressor/pump will turn by hand. If it's seized the motor will try to turn it and trip when it fails to do so.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 01:07:38 PM »
it could also be a failed motor start capacitor.

-J

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 01:15:30 PM »
see if the compressor/pump will turn by hand. If it's seized the motor will try to turn it and trip when it fails to do so.

Tried turning the belt and everything seems to be operating fine in this department...

Definitely beyond my level of fix-it-ness, but will see what info I can dig up..
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 01:42:01 PM »
Had this exact thing happen to my Schulz 5hp compressor a couple months ago. Diagnosis was a fried motor. Luckily my local tractor supply had a replacement motor that dropped right in. So $230ish and a couple hours later we were back in business.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 01:48:08 PM »

-J

agreed. we had this before. happened in our power washer as well. is the breaker hot?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
Check the connections (Is one wire loose, not tight).  Are you running 3 phase power?  If so go check and make sure you have equal voltage on each leg.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »
Your belt might be loose, and check for any arcing wires...I would change the breaker as that is the easiest and cheap way to go first....almost forgot check your point's they should be in a box on the compressor
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »
Like Jason said start capacitor. Pull the cover and take the numbers off the old and replace. There might be run capacitors also and or two or more of each. Short the two terminals with a screw driver (hold the handle not the shank) before touching the wires.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 02:51:30 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this.  I've checked all the electrical connections and replaced the breaker, no improvement.  Gonna check out the capacitor now but otherwise it looks like it may be beyond my level of expertise so I'm gonna call in a tech to check it out.  My guys are killing it on the manual today so that will help and then we're closed through Monday so hopefully I'll get something up and running by then.

One of those days...

Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 02:57:44 PM »
Two. Of. Everything.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »
are you in FL? We had the same thing yesterday. It turns out that one of the legs was blown at the pole. We had power for the lights, dryer... Everything seemed fine so I thought my compressor motor froze. I hooked the spare up and had the same problem. The FPL guys got it fixed in 3 minutes. They said anything with a big motor was effected. Everything else was fine.
Good Luck.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?