Author Topic: Super high speed, small form factor press.  (Read 4078 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Super high speed, small form factor press.
« on: June 09, 2016, 10:10:21 AM »
we've started doing a bunch of 1-2 color work here, and are in need of a faster small-form factor press...

our sportsman is running at full speed 900-948/hr, and we feel that with faster inks (like Joe Clarke's Synergy series), that the index speed is actually what's slowing us down - especially for easy loading stuff lke bags, and one color stuff.

What I'd love is a 6 or 8 color Gauntlet 3 or Challenger 3D, but they don't offer anything like that.

so with that being the case, what other suggestions does every body have?

(I've thought about maybe an oval running with 2 crews on it, but that seems problematic, and doesn't really fix my problem).

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Super high speed, small form factor press.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »
MHM E-type dry cycles at 1400+. We regularly pass the 1k speeds, but I can't see you gaining much by going higher than 948. The jobs that can benefit from those are few and far between (maybe two-three a week for us). Setup times are much, much bigger factor for us.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 12:19:23 PM »
MHM E-type dry cycles at 1400+. We regularly pass the 1k speeds, but I can't see you gaining much by going higher than 948. The jobs that can benefit from those are few and far between (maybe two-three a week for us). Setup times are much, much bigger factor for us.

pierre

this week we're printing 12k imprints, one order, followed by nearly 4k, same deal... each of these are 1 color imprints
next week, 16k imprints... 1 order, 1 color canvas bags... SUPER easy to load.

if this continues, I want to figure out the 'right' way to run these orders, and in my mind a SMALL but VERY fast auto is what it will take.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:02:28 PM »
TOTALLY with you on this!!!! This is one of the reasons we were going to keep our red press. Basic 1 or 2 color jobs, small footprint, knock them out fast. After switching to Roq it did not make as much sense because things wouldn't be interchangeable. I had a hair brain plan for a BASIC very small footprint press with only 3-4 colors and a 12*12 imprint area. Key would be keeping the price cheap.

Before we ended up getting our used YOU we had talked to Roq about making us a smaller version ECO with only 6 colors. They heed and hawwed(not something they have in their line up) but said it could be done.

Have you asked M&R if they would make a custom one? I would imagine it would add to your turn time because it is not "standard", but one would think moding a press is not out of their wheelhouse...
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:06:44 PM »
yes, that does take the setup times out of the equation. I still think that if you can go at 950, there is not going to be much of a difference in the long run. Loading 4K pieces, or even worse, 16K pieces at over 1K per hour is just too draining physically. When we have long runs, we are netting 500 per hour and that's requiring some effort (both logistics and performance).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »
also, for something like that, you might want to consider double index. You'd need more operators, but for the bigger, simpler jobs you could double your production rate.

pierre

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 01:08:35 PM »
They do have the Roq You 4 color 8 station for around 30K

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »
also, for something like that, you might want to consider double index. You'd need more operators, but for the bigger, simpler jobs you could double your production rate.

pierre

so you're thinking something like loading in the first '2' stations, and maybe 1 puller?

Hmm...

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »
They do have the Roq You 4 color 8 station for around 30K
Yes, but that is made off the standard YOU P08M base. So same outside measurements. I wanted a smaller diameter, which can be found in their Nano, but I wanted the ECO indexing system for the speed.

Think Jason may be on to something here... 
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 01:25:18 PM »
we've started doing a bunch of 1-2 color work here, and are in need of a faster small-form factor press...

our sportsman is running at full speed 900-948/hr, and we feel that with faster inks (like Joe Clarke's Synergy series), that the index speed is actually what's slowing us down - especially for easy loading stuff lke bags, and one color stuff.

What I'd love is a 6 or 8 color Gauntlet 3 or Challenger 3D, but they don't offer anything like that.

(I've thought about maybe an oval running with 2 crews on it, but that seems problematic, and doesn't really fix my problem).
Tell us how fast you want and size of impressions and see if we cant do it!!
Rich Hoffman

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 02:08:27 PM »

Something told me Rich would step up to the plate on something like this!  ;)
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »

this work keeps coming as it seems to be, and I'll be in touch...

unlike Alex's 12" requirement, I'm fine with standard 16x18 or 20x20 print size... I just want a 6 or 8 color with the advanced indexing and print technology of the bigger presses.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »

pierre

That's interesting, but I can't see how we do that on our Synchro S. Years ago when we ran a Precision Oval, 2 up was damn fast, but there we 4 open stations and 4 heads...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 03:19:18 PM »

this work keeps coming as it seems to be, and I'll be in touch...

unlike Alex's 12" requirement, I'm fine with standard 16x18 or 20x20 print size... I just want a 6 or 8 color with the advanced indexing and print technology of the bigger presses.
Your press can be sped up as well if you would like.
Rich Hoffman

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Your press can be sped up as well if you would like.

Something secret that I'm missing???  if I can eek out another 100/hr we'd be happy for now... I was under the impression that 900-950/hr was max for our sporty?