Author Topic: Printing seps from Corel  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Printing seps from Corel
« on: May 06, 2020, 02:52:45 PM »
Because our designers are not working at the moment I am having to do things I don't normally do.     Today I separated a 4 color spot job, did a base with a .75 choke which I colored a mid grey and put it behind the original graphics.     When I print out the seps the printer does not see the Base color that is behind the rest.
I test with Accurip that is set to a printer but output by printing to PDF and then sending to a Xitron rip.
I know that our designer makes a different page with the base color and seps the base separately to the Xitron.
I'd like the base to be part of the original graphics, I was told that it's better to work this way.
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline aauusa

Re: Printing seps from Corel
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 03:25:03 PM »
in the seperation part of the print option screen check use advanced settings  then on the colors which are on top of your base click the overprint

sorry hard to explain.  I print direct through accurip.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 03:31:40 PM »
to be hinest it is easier to just duplicate the image and change the spot colors to 1 color of your choice so you can have different tints for each color in the design.  just easier to see what I am doing this way.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 11:11:36 PM »
If your base is on a second page it should still print to your rip as one file. End result is the same as stacking it on one page. When I last used Corel with overprints I had a hard time getting it to work consistently.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »
Slightly off topic, but is good information when speaking of DTS, Templates and sending files from different pages or dartboards or even documents.

The reason we are told that ONE SINGLE PAGE is better to work from, is because RIPs and especially DTS rips that do best making use of template see additional pages as another separate send. This then gets recognized as such...and depending on content, can change the documents position ever so slightly. It’s for this reason, Setting on the art into one page with the underboss built within one file, one page that is most accurate.

People that don’t need to use templates never see this issue.  Everything about the us oof a template is to keep things in one place.  Additional pages or (in Illustrator), additional art boards can be affected. Not all of the time, like I said, (depends on the size of the content that is on the underbase. Like when the color art is large...and only some portions of that is underbased. The two sends read slightly differently.

Even worse in this case is when people save a copy of the file for the BASE and send that to film or DTS separately from the color file.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:49:49 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 04:14:01 PM »
I have been told what Dan mentioned and because of this I prefer to have one graphics which includes the base and not have the base on a separate page.
I tried this:in the seperation part of the print option screen check use advanced settings  then on the colors which are on top of your base click the overprint
but could not get the base which was behind the graphics to print.
Lizards idea worked when I print to pdf I can choose the pages so by choosing two pages, the original art on one and the background on another, the file sent to the CTS had all the information in one file.
There must be a way of getting the first option to work.     Just because the base cannot be seen doesn't mean that it can't be printed.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 09:37:49 PM »
I have been told what Dan mentioned and because of this I prefer to have one graphics which includes the base and not have the base on a separate page.
I tried this:in the seperation part of the print option screen check use advanced settings  then on the colors which are on top of your base click the overprint
but could not get the base which was behind the graphics to print. (TELL THE TOP COLORS TO OVERPRINT) so they do not knock out of the base).

Lizards idea worked when I print to pdf I can choose the pages so by choosing two pages, the original art on one and the background on another, the file sent to the CTS had all the information in one file.
There must be a way of getting the first option to work.     Just because the base cannot be seen doesn't mean that it can't be printed.

Usually (when I'm in Illustrator) and want the base to print, you have to tell all of the top colors to overprint.  I know you can do this is Corel. I did it (for a short time) at another job in Corel. I just don't remember the specifics. Some people reverse this method and tell only the Base white to overprint...and the other colors don't but the BASE is placed ON TOP in this case. I don't like that method only because I like to see my art all of the time and when I choke with process white/aka computer white...it knockes out all of my colros under the choke. So the way I do it, I tell each color to do the overprinting and keep the base in the back or (bottom).

You know tho, just in case it's been overlooked. Be sure to have the base white as a color. Any spot color. I use Pink alot, but in my case, I don't use 100% magenta. I use like 90%  Some RIPS see pure white (with all color percentages as 0,0,0,0, as not being a color and not printing. Sort of confuses the rip.  Likewise, same for the base "color".  If it's 100% of magenta, in a CMYK color model, It will also sometimes confuse the RIP and end up converting the file to CMYK.

For Gutters or Knock Out chokes, I use pure cmyk 0,0,0,0, (aka Compuer white) or process white...since there is no true process white, it doesn't print.As such, it also does not OVERPRINT. This is anothr reason why I do not like putting my base ON TOP of the color stack. If you choke the base any, with computer white it will knock out of all colors below it.  So I place my base at bottom.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850