Author Topic: Here's a tough one. Don't know what I'm gonna do.  (Read 6159 times)

Offline Ripcord

Here's a tough one. Don't know what I'm gonna do.
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
I printed 20 4-color polos for a customer (womens style shirts). She likes the print job but doesn't like the shirts. She says they do not fit like the one the girl is wearing in the catalog and she believes that the catalog is misleading as to how the shirts fit (length vs. width).

She says her staff will not wear them so a discount is not a feasible solution. She wants nothing short of a total reprint on a different style of shirts.

The shirt rep says there isn't anything wrong with them and it appears I won't be getting any compensation for the shirts. It's already been acknowleged that my printing was fine (In fact I'll say that for the rather intricate design it was a very nice print job for a pique shirt...)

So I didn't do anything wrong and now I need to do the entire job again at my own expense. If I think about it practically, I can replace the shirts for $100 or so, reprint them, and keep the $250 or so I charged for them. Twice as much work, but I still make $50 on the job. At the same time, part of me wants to go pick up the shirts from her, refund her money, and be free to pursue more profitable endeavors.

It's kind of the principle of the thing. You aren't happy with my product I don't expect you to pay for it...But I want this customer to go away, and $50 doesn't seem like that much money in this case. And once I set a precedent that I'll reprint a job, no questions asked at the sole discretion of a customer...Well that's certainly not a good thing. How would you guys deal with this?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:58:21 AM by Ripcord »
Raster to vector conversion

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Here's a tough one. Don't know what I'm gonna do.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:01:51 PM »
I printed 20 4-color polos for a customer (womens style shirts). She likes the print job but doesn't like the shirts. She says they do not fit like the one the girl is wearing in the catalog and she believes that the catalog is misleading as to how the shirts fit (length vs. width).

She says her staff will not wear them so a discount is not a feasible solution. She wants nothing short of a total reprint on a different style of shirts.

The shirt rep says there isn't anything wrong with them and it appears I won't be getting any compensation for the shirts. It's already been acknowleged that my printing was fine (In fact I'll say that for the rather intricate design it was a very nice print job for a pique shirt...)

So I didn't do anything wrong and now I need to do the entire job again at my own expense. If I think about it practically, I can replace the shirts for $100 or so, reprint them, and keep the $250 or so I charged for them. Twice as much work, but I still make $50 on the job. At the same time, part of me wants to go pick up the shirts from her, refund her money, and be free to pursue more profitable endeavors.

It's kind of the principle of the thing. You aren't happy with my product I don't expect you to pay for it...But I want this customer to go away, and $50 doesn't seem like that much money in this case. And once I set a precedent that I'll reprint a job, no questions asked at the sole discretion of a customer...Well that's certainly not a good thing. How would you guys deal with this?

Though one, and you probably lose either way.  So which way will you keep the customer (if you want to).  I would probably personally not reprint them for a "fit" issue.  I dont manufacture garments, I print on them. 

Some people think its JCPenny and you can just try it on, buy it then take it back if you don't like it.  I think that's unfair.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »
I don't think I'd print for her again. She's very time consuming...Although I should have added that in addition to the polos I printed 40 regular T-shirts, front and back and she likes those...So overall I made some money.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »
If it is a new customer, an item such as this I always get them a sample. You might reprint them, and see if they will buy the rejected shirts for a discount.

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
I would get the customer what she wants and reprint them.. Take the other ones and donate them to Good Will of something and get a tax write off.

Get samples of the style she wants and make sure they fit right.
Quality over Quantity

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »
yup, you're screwed either way.  can you measure the shirt in relation to what is in the catalog?  I had this problem with some Port shirts years ago, and I got a refund because the size charts in the catalogs were wrong and didn't list the shirts as junior sized.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »
for what it's worth, here's my thinking:

you are selling the garments retail and thus they are part of your sale (and responsibility). Retail shops charge more and also get an opportunity to mark up garments  but at the expense of having to deal with customers like the one you mention above.

next point, it is not worth having a customer badmouthing you around.

I would take care of her (add $50 to the income) and politely refuse any additional work when she comes back. She will have no ground to stand on as far as not being taken care of. I would have her sign something that you are replacing it and that she accepts the new shirts so there are no issues later.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »
You will not win in this situation. Even if you get better shirts and reprint them you will have to do 2 more jobs for them just to make up your money. I would guess that she will only order once to twice a year. Its hard either way.

One option: Tell her that you can take them back but she has to pay for the printing (Time, labor, inks and screens) since the printing of the shirts was not the problem. Then tell her that she has to pick a new shirt and have her entire staff ok it before you will print them.

I get one bad customer every year and I just take care of it as fast as possible. If you think about the money to much or that they are screwing you it will just make you mad. I personally would just buy new shirts and reprint them and move on to the next person. I would rather have a happy customer at the end of the day then make a few extra $$$. Just next time make sure she approves and signs off on shirts.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
I bet she's over reacting a bit. I would offer her the current shirts at a discounted rate (cost of replacement goods) PLUS a reprint on something new. no she isn't your ideal customer but that 50.00 almost pays my phone bill for the month. . .wait, not even close, but you get the idea. . .

or send her a link to the Atkins diet. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
HAHA, I had a customer order Christmas gifts one year and he ordered one of his customers a 3XL, the guy looked at it and said, "you've got a problem, I wear a 4XL."  My customer replied "I'm not the one with the problem."

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »
If you are selling something site unseen it your "job" to make sure the client is getting what they expect....

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »
I see it this way what good is having a principal rule if your not going to stand by it...once this customers gets you on this they pretty much will be a thorn in your rump.  Yes everyone hates losing money...I,m thinking too the best thing to do is offer a to replace the shirts and let her paid for your printing service.  I hate to see women come in my shop, they always think they are at Macy's when it comes to polo's and such, and I allways tell them that all women don't have the same body type and stuff fits different from lady to lady.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »
I see it this way what good is having a principal rule if your not going to stand by it...once this customers gets you on this they pretty much will be a thorn in your rump.  Yes everyone hates losing money...I,m thinking too the best thing to do is offer a to replace the shirts and let her paid for your printing service.  I hate to see women come in my shop, they always think they are at Macy's when it comes to polo's and such, and I allways tell them that all women don't have the same body type and stuff fits different from lady to lady.

Darryl

hmm. . you mean you don't get out the measure tape and size her up D?. . .must be just me :P
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »
I find that the smaller framed women are tough to measure with a tape, so I sue my hands.  Very effective.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 01:25:32 PM »

This is going to get me in all kinds of trouble but here goes...women are the worst customers to deal with when it comes to fit, quality, style , shrinkage, length of the tail on the shirt, underarm seams / comfort, sleeve length, itchy tags, brand names, and PRICE.

I just love it when I am dealing with a 4 foot 10 in tall lady who is un proportionally built in the chest area and she orders an XS shirt. Or ladies who should not wear fashion form fitting 3.2 ounce garments to cover muffin tops selecting something a fashion model only could wear. Oh and here is the best one again on the fashion fitting light color 3.2 ounce Bella or LA style garments  when they complain they don’t have a bra that doesn’t show through the shirt...”we thought the shirt would be thicker than that”.

I had a lady who drives truck for the local town complain and bad mouth me because the Gildan style 2000 safety yellow tee shirts I sold her were too thin and everyone could see her bra through the shirt. EVERYBODY wears gildan 2000 safety yellow, ( and by the way Jerzees I think are worse) but the whole world wears them...but it was my fault because she never had that problem before.

All you can do is grab your chest fall to the floor and fake a heart attack short of that get out your knife & fork cuz you most likely will be eating some shirts.
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.