Author Topic: Reclaiming question  (Read 7279 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Reclaiming question
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
I'd try some of the other suggestions given here. 

I've got a medium size booth and there is still some spray and vapor issues.

Didn't want you to put too much importance on one.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
hell, a small booth may well concentrate the bad stuff more than the old place at my old place, outdoors, against a chain link fence! lol
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »
Ventilate your booth, that's the best solution, it will also help get rid of humidity in your screen room.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
So, do we have any kind of product that is more "green" available to where we do not have this bad of a chemical?  I asked for a more "green product' and this is what I was sold.

I have ELITE Extra Stencil Remover and EASY STRIP.  Both say,

SWALLOWING: Ingestion may cause sore throat and abdominal discomfort.

INHALATION: Inhalation of mist may cause irritation of the nose and throat with coughing or discomfort.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »
The SPA chems , which are actually re-labled Chor-Chem are not bad on the strong smelling side. the actual dip tank solution for ink/emulsion remover has no smell. the de-haze, degrease solution actually has a sweet smell, get ready to laugh, reminds me of bathroom air freshener. Now, we do  have that turbo exhaust fan we have ported into our booth helps it from getting overwhelming, but out of all of the "green" solutions we have used, these have proven to be the best for us. My reclaim guy knocks out about 100-120 full on reclaims a week, he only comes in 2, 4 hour shifts. The system we have locked in, for us, has become very efficient, and we end up with stain free, oil free, very clean clean frames ect. Tanner Smith at Screen Process of Alabama really helped us dial in an earth friendly, easy to use, safe set up.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »
The most common reclaim/emulsion removers are sodium metaperiodate. What are the green alternatives?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »
according to the reps, citrus and soy

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
That explains why I had trouble with my screen after spilling my lemonade and chow mein on it!  ;D

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »
hahahahahahhahahahha, that citrus isa killa. have a great weekend Frog!!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »
Freaking washout booths are feaking expensive for what they are, I just can't afford a $400 hit for a freaking sink and that's a cheap one from Ranar. My spine crawls everytime when I see a city truck or an unidentified car drive by. I really don't know If I'm breaking any laws or city codes and I don't want to know or inquirer about it at this time.

Get a double-basin utility sink from Home Depot and cut out the partition. Build a framework around it and use some of that corrugated plastic that people use for greenhouses to form up the three sides. Works pretty good. Half the price of a purpose-made one.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »
I'd add to that excellent suggestion--if you have a re-source or habitat for humanity type of place in the area, a used shower bottom ran $40--I built a washout booth years ago for around a hundred bucks worth of stuff.

But I should make the disclaimer--I like making stuff.   :)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »
I cut a hole in the roof of our booth and put an 8" turbo duct blower to exhaust any fumes from the booth, it works awesome. If it's not on, you can really tell the difference. We use SPA chems and beenie doo and that with the exhausting allows our reclaim guy to spend full days back there without any fumes.

Could you share some more details about this exhaust fan?  I'm about to get a booth that has an exhaust port and was looking forward to making it work but had no clue what I was gonna get to do that.

Thanks!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 01:45:17 PM »
Gil, most HVAC supply shops, or even the local hardware store will have in-duct fans for sale, add a few elbows and some straight duct and you're in business. I'd also recommend a one-way flap on the outside vent to prevent drafts from coming back in when you don't want them.

Some of the inline duct fans are available with variable speed control, which is a nice option for some applications. I run that on my dryer vent and can dial in enough air flow to keep the oven shell cool and/or remove fumes when using graphic inks without sucking too much air out of the shop or causing the ovn to over compensate for being over-cooled.

These work okay,

but don't move as much air as tumbler cage style:

Another option is a squirrel cage blower from a furnace, these move a ton of air, in many cases they may move to much air, but imo for venting a wash-out tank you want to move as much as possible to counter-act the blast-back and vaporization a pressure washer causes..

(not my picture)

These move a lot of air, and some are available in 4-5 speed configurations, but require a bit of fabrication to run a duct in the round side for air-draw and going from the rectangular blower port back to round if you need to run duct to the exhaust exit. the one in the picture appears to be for removing heat from near the ceiling, which is very effective to help keep a shop cool. i run something like that in my shop.

Cheers,
jon
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 01:49:52 PM by Inkworks »
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
Gil, most HVAC supply shops, or even the local hardware store will have in-duct fans for sale, add a few elbows and some straight duct and you're in business. I'd also recommend a one-way flap on the outside vent to prevent drafts from coming back in when you don't want them.

Cheers,
jon

And critters! There are plenty of stories about pigeons apparently trying to join the workforce ending up  maimed or roasted or both in dryer vents.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »
Thanks for the follow up.

I've got quite a few plans for my duct work and figured I'd need something at the end to assist even though my dryer vent would be a fairly short and straight run (one 90).

I want to do a radiator inside the duct (appropriately sized to not cause too much restriction) that I would circulate (thermal siphon) to a storage tank for washing out screens.  I'll be plumbing a portable AC unit's exhuast in there as well.

I'm guessing some Y's should keep things from back feeding and keep things moving.

I also have a couple of extra large squirrel cage fans... I'm wondering if I put one in front of the Y coming from my dryer would it work to siphon out the heat from the dryer as well or do you think it might push against the air coming out of the dryer?