Author Topic: watches . . . what are you wearing?  (Read 10063 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
watches . . . what are you wearing?
« on: May 19, 2011, 05:29:17 PM »
we talked about this a while back on Preston's forum and it took of like a wildfire. Not screenprinting related, but seems like we have planty of fans.

So what's on your wrist (or dare I say, your pocket)?

I'll go first.

This is a watch from my active skydiving days. Influenced by the aircraft dials. Put it together myself. Bought the movement, serviced it, changed some pieces. Then bought the dial, hands and the case from a watch company in San Francisco. Band is from them too, but bought at a later time. Clasp is from somebody else. SO a real mutt with some nice parts to it. Swiss ETA 2836 movement (shock resistant), sapphire glass front and back (so you can see the movement). Water proof to 30 meters. Had a shark skin band on it for a while, oil skin leather now.
Total cost about $200. If you bought it at the store probably about $1K.

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline killergraphics

Re: watches . . . what are you wearing?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:45:33 PM »
I wear a  Casio Pathfinder all the time. I time a lot of things.

Had a Friend's, girlfriends daughter clean house for me as a favor and among the things missing is My 25 year old Gold Longines and my ring.

Can't prove it, so its just gone.

That Sucks Biggins.

Offline yorkie

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
I have a cell phone, why would i need a watch?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »
Omron heart rate monitor. . .what? I like to exercise. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline terryei

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »
Used to wear them.  Haven't for many years.  I used to do a lot of construction and broke a lot of them.
I agree, with a cell who needs one.  I'm not much one for wearing jewlery.
When did it become fashionable to wear schrapnal on your face or streach your ear lobes out?  I think this was started by the Ubangee Tribe?
Can't understand this!
Terry

Offline squeezee

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:16:24 PM »
I haven't worn a watch for ages, because I worked with solvents anything plastic just melted like a Dali painting, so I wore a cheap steel watch.  Now I carry a phone everywhere and don't need one.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
Johnny mentioned a pathfinder, I got one of those.  It's a cool watch.  Thermometer, altimeter, barometer, compass, it's got some gadgets on it. 

What I'm wearing today

What I'll be wearing tomorrow, one of these 2

I like that Oakley I saw in the other thread, nice big watch.  I have to wear big watches, normal sizes look funny on my wrists.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »
I hate wearing jewelry, but for fieldwork I use a rugged Freestyle Kampus.

But sometimes when I go out to some hip bar or restaurant, I take my Ipod Nano watch:

http://lunatik.com/tiktok
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline squeegee

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »
This is my other favorite, Oakley Blade, it's a heavy sucker big but no huge.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

several reasons. One, my cell phone is not always on me, it could be in the next room.

Second and more important, watches can be something worth appreciating. Yes, they can be practical and tell time and barometric pressure and the temperature and the water depth and who knows what else. I have a CASIO G-Shock for scuba diving or any other similar activities. But on a normal day, I like to wear something that is actually a remarkable feat of engineering. In some cases also a piece of art. The level of craftsmanship involved is absolutely stunning. There are watches out there that a team of ppl took a year or more to assemble. Some of the gears are cut to the millionth of an inch tolerances and some take years to complete one rotation. The company I am big fan of, enamels the naval battles on the dial and only about one or possibly two out of ten come out acceptable to their standards (no there are no seconds). That's about three a week for world class craftsman.

There is more to life than cold hard calculated utility. Every now and then, we need to stop and smell the roses (or watches in some guy's case . . .).

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 07:11:43 PM »

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »
Johnny mentioned a pathfinder, I got one of those.  It's a cool watch.  Thermometer, altimeter, barometer, compass, it's got some gadgets on it. 

What I'm wearing today

I like that Oakley I saw in the other thread, nice big watch.  I have to wear big watches, normal sizes look funny on my wrists.

the Co-Axial movement and then in an Omega. It does not get any better without going hand made!

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 08:42:49 PM »
Submariner. Because I sometimes I go into the wading pool.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:45:32 PM by Fresh Baked Printing (bkd001) »
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 08:47:25 PM »

several reasons. One, my cell phone is not always on me, it could be in the next room.

Second and more important, watches can be something worth appreciating. Yes, they can be practical and tell time and barometric pressure and the temperature and the water depth and who knows what else. I have a CASIO G-Shock for scuba diving or any other similar activities. But on a normal day, I like to wear something that is actually a remarkable feat of engineering. In some cases also a piece of art. The level of craftsmanship involved is absolutely stunning. There are watches out there that a team of ppl took a year or more to assemble. Some of the gears are cut to the millionth of an inch tolerances and some take years to complete one rotation. The company I am big fan of, enamels the naval battles on the dial and only about one or possibly two out of ten come out acceptable to their standards (no there are no seconds). That's about three a week for world class craftsman.

There is more to life than cold hard calculated utility. Every now and then, we need to stop and smell the roses (or watches in some guy's case . . .).

Watches. Yes, you nailed the emotion of wearing a watch pretty good!
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
While Yorkie, unfortunately nailed today's throwaway electronic gadget mentality as well, though I hope a little tongue in cheek.

I think that Apple's plan of owners tossing the otherwise elegant original hard drive I-Pods rather than replace the battery took this to a new extreme.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?