Author Topic: MAC HELP NEEDED!  (Read 6605 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
MAC HELP NEEDED!
« on: August 23, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »
I am in some serious need of help from someone that is both MAC and VM fusion able. I am going out of my mind with both systems nothing is working correct at all, i cannot get my epson 1430 to be recognized by windows correctly there is all kinds of strange ports and it even confuses one printer with another! I some one to please call me and help me out before I chuck this $1500 hunk of aluminum on the high way! PM for a number if any one can hep TIA

BTW the mouse that comes with a MAC what a night mare!
"No man is an island"

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: MAC HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
Don't trip inkman.  This sounds stupid but it works- 

unplug the printer's usb cable. 

open your vm of choice in fusion

while clicking inside the vm, plug the usb back in.

you should here that windows noise and have recognition.

port settings....I can't remember exactly how I set it up but there help/support docs were easy enough to follow.  If you can give me a screen shot or two maybe I can remember. 

I happily ditched vmware (well I still have it somewhere around here) and windows awhile back and, while it's limited me a little, am all mac now, except our POS at the retail store but that could be mac too really.  I chose not to use filmmaker because of this.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »
Hey zoo unfortunately I tried that over and over, when I installing the Epsom software it can't find the printer but the Mac side sees it even tho I wish it didn't but for some reason I can't get Mac to ignore the printer so it's windows only.

When I do get it installed manually I get three or four copies in the devices and printers. No clue as to why, now get this I also have an hp laser installed, when I pick one of the epson copies to print a test page it prints out of the hp laser? When I install FM I cannot get it to work on any of the epson copies, I tried everyone listed but nothing. When I unplug the USB and plug back in windows does not notice.

I think tomorrow I am going to uninstall VM and reinstall and see if I missed anything. VM also pissed me off because it offers simple easy pC migration, simply hook the two punters together by an ethernet cord and easy peaty yea frigging right lol. Neither system could see each other let alone do a migration.

I am venting but I am sure Mac is good right now I am all thumbs using it and it's adding to my frustration level ten fold. I am seriously lost on the things I always took for granted from windows so I have to learn all the navigation etc. I did finally install a standard mouse and now have my right click back, plus a scroll wheel! I can't understand how anyone can use that touch scroll easily on the Mac mouse especially not with a graphics program.

I need a beer!
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
LOL... and you were promised all that green pasture :)

Yeah, that whole Mac mouse stubbornness baffles me.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »
to get the right click menu on a Mac with the Mac mouse, you hold down the control key click. I use a Kensington trackball myself, 4 buttons.  To delete a printer, go to System Preferences in your dock, It looks like gears, click on it, then choose Printers and Fax (this window should remind you of your control panels window). In your Printers and Fax window, all of your printers should be listed on the left; click once on the one you want to delete, then at the bottom of that window, click the minus sign (-) and that will remove the printer. That being said, when I hooked up VM Fusion and loaded a copy of XP, it talked to my printers already, so I really can't help with that, but, since you've registered, call 1-800-myapple, sometimes you get through right away, sometimes you wait, just like everywhere else. They are extremely helpful, and will help you solve your problem. The last time I called them, I had upgraded my system and all of my email disappeared. Had them on the phone for a couple of hours, they finally got it fixed, but they wouldn't give up, and kept moving me up the expert ladder. Hang in there my friend, you'll be OK.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »
to get the right click menu on a Mac with the Mac mouse, you hold down the control key click.

How about I punch you in the face when I click!!   Just kidding but seriously I think that is the STUPIDEST answer anyone ever gives for "why doesn't Mac just give you a two button mouse?"

I also use the Kensington Expert mouse... expensive as all hell but I haven't been without one for about 15 years.  I own several.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
I use a microsoft brand mouse, right click all the time.  Apple mice can (used to be able to) be set to right click, just turn it on in the options.  I am one of those left hand on the keyboard, right on the mouse guys and I think that's why macs have this as standard, they got their start with design professionals and that's how you get 'er done on design programs.  Don't mind the "magic" one or whatever it is, we have one at the printshop on the imac there but I do very little design work on that machine.

This sounds like an issue with Windows being what it is and also not knowing the ropes yet with VMware.  Some of the interface stuff is a little weird naturally but it's a vm, once the interface stuff is worked out it's just as good as whatever os you install on there.  Well, a little better I guess with the snapshots and all. 

If it's looking like it's really not worth it just go on and get a pc for the rip station and network them or pop your files onto a thumb drive to go back and forth.

I personally have found working on macs to greener pastures indeed, takes a second to adjust to but far more time to focus on my work and not my computer machine.....and posting on this internet forum of course. 

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 06:15:45 PM »
Again, my issue is why don't the just give it up out of the box.  Why do you have to buy yet something else on top of the already expensive computer?  What about the laptops... now I have to either hook up a 3rd party mouse or hold a key down while clicking.

It's just stubborn BS.  Maybe they got their start with designers and they had that habit so it worked... but how many decades ago was that?!  How many bankruptcies ago?  Cars started with manual transmissions and at some point some genius invented an automatic transmission.  No major car manufactures and not many niche ones refuse to make a car with an automatic option... and those that do are designed for that VERY niche market.  Or if you are a purist (like myself) you CHOOSE to get it as an option.  A lot like using the keyboard with one hand and the mouse with the other.

Hell, the windows keyboard has a key that is literally a right click "context menu key"... I'd venture to say 99.999% of the users out there never us it.  I, personally use it all the time and would hate to lose it.  But I also wouldn't insist I NEED it or that Macs are stupid for not including it... because it's not something everyone uses.  Right click... EVERYONE is using it... even die hard mac users say "I have a 3rd party mouse, I can right click" like I was suggesting it's not possible.  But there is exactly my point... you bought a 3rd party mouse because you wanted to right click and the one that came with your system was total BS and is one of the first things to be tossed when someone in the "know" buys a Mac.

How long did it take you to toss that soap bar Mike?   Exactly!  ;)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
Gilly.
Will you stop complaining about something you do not like. We get it. You can not make any money with fixing Mac and you can not sell any parts because nothing breaks. It is OK, there is enough broken down PC's for you to fix.

I will never use anything else than a Mighty Mouse on Mac. I think that is the best mouse ever. You just need to get used to it. One button thing is for a hardcore mac users, but you have option to set it up to be two buttons. I use it with 2 buttons, and I love the touch scrolling feature and "two-finger swipes" for going back and forts in the browsers.

Mike, do not give up on it, keep working with it and give it a few hours/days. You'll love it.
Also, with the mac, when you learn basic, it will be easy.  And believe me, if you have a patience for a few days, your life will be much easier when it comes to the computers when you learn how to use it.
I have sent you PM with my phone # about an hour ago. If you have any questions, give me a call.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
Gilly.
Will you stop complaining about something you do not like. We get it. You can not make any money with fixing Mac and you can not sell any parts because nothing breaks. It is OK, there is enough broken down PC's for you to fix.

I will never use anything else than a Mighty Mouse on Mac. I think that is the best mouse ever. You just need to get used to it. One button thing is for a hardcore mac users, but you have option to set it up to be two buttons. I use it with 2 buttons, and I love the touch scrolling feature and "two-finger swipes" for going back and forts in the browsers.

Mike, do not give up on it, keep working with it and give it a few hours/days. You'll love it.
Also, with the mac, when you learn basic, it will be easy.  And believe me, if you have a patience for a few days, your life will be much easier when it comes to the computers when you learn how to use it.
I have sent you PM with my phone # about an hour ago. If you have any questions, give me a call.

LOL... actually I get more Mac than Linux and I'd bet that the numbers line up ALMOST with the market share.  I'd also be willing to bet the other few customers that are missing from that are the ones that think they have to go to the local Mac store to get raped service.

Sadly I've had customers come to me and tell me some pretty terrible horror stories of how the Mac store (independent, not run by Apple, mind you) has treated their situation... just a lack of understanding of how the OS truly works.

They also sold one of my clients (before they became my client) a "mac mini" as a "server".  :o

BTW, the internal parts are all the same as PC's now... I thought that was a bad move on Apple's part to move away from the PowerPC, I felt that really did give them an edge over the PC world.

Relax Dennis, it's just a pet peeve of mine about the mouse issue... more so the excuses that Mac fanboys use, but all the same.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 07:18:33 PM »
DK I got your message I will try calling tomorrow when I am back in front of the rig.

About the whole right click thing, I also am a power left hand key board right hand mouse guy but that is on a pc key board lay out. No matter what the right click in windows is extremely useful. And something I am glad to have back by silly switching to a multi button mouse.

I am liking the system no doubt, the speed on boot up and other things is sweet but some things are really strange to me lol.

As for the epson,printer something is just goofy with it, I installed the hp laser perfectly fine and windows and Mac both see it correctly I also installed a zebra label printer for ups on the windows side with no issues, it's just the epson printer that is giving fits and naturally that is the most irritant one to have sigh.

"No man is an island"

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 09:37:42 PM »
Gilligan, you are missing a point why Mike started the thread!
Not because he does not like the mouse, not because he hates or he has issues with mac. He started it because he needs help.
Ne does not need you or anyone else pour more salt on the wound, or to make fun of it. He have just spent $1500 for a system that he never used before. If you can not help, leave it alone. But as I can see that you have more customers with Mac issues, and as I can see that you help them with Mac issues every day, why didn't you post something that would help him instead of making him even more pissed off and uncertain about his decision to buy a Mac. Probably you made him thing about did he make the right choice.

Mouse is not the issue, having issues with something that is relatively unknown or slightly different that he was used to is an issue in this case.

Maybe I was bit too harsh on my response to your first comments on this thread, but I just can not understand someone who acted like you did today.
There are some threads that you do not comment on if you are not certain that you will help. This one was one of those.
he spend a lot of money on an iMac, if you know how, help him, if not, leave it alone.

There are other threads where all of us can have fun and make fun of each other.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
Dennis, I made a small joke at Mike's expense... I'm willing to bet he didn't get too upset (if any) about it.

HE mentioned the mouse and I simply stated, "yeah,  that whole Mac mouse stubbornness baffles me."  Basically agreeing with Mike.  That was the end of what I had to say.

It wasn't until people started chiming in with what I feel is the most ridiculous cop outs when someone mentioned their disdain for the Mac mouse.

You are right... I didn't offer anything else... though I wasn't trying to go down this crazy tangent that we went down.  It just happens sometimes (kind of like, the one going on between you and I).  I didn't offer any other help because as it has been stated before, I don't have any experience with VM ware in the environment that he is using it in.  I have mainly dealt with VM stuff from a server perspective.  I have also said how cool Fusion sounds with it's abilities to drag and drop from one system to the other.  Didn't see you jumping my a$$ over praising the Mac on that thread even though I wasn't helping to further the conversation that was at hand.

Just reread this thread and see where it got derailed.  If you TRULY believe it was because of some half backhanded comments that took up a whopping TWO lines then I don't know what to tell you.  From there on out it was just basically a lot of joking around... unless you really believe I want to punch someone in the face vs right clicking. *shrug*

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 12:17:59 AM »
i think what this whole past says it that it doesn't matter what kind of computer you use, when you cram it full of programs and peripherals, there are going to be some conflicts.  Not a surprise that Epson is at the center of it either.

I have to trick so many things into working.  My computer thinks our plotter is a laser printer.  Same as the RIP.  It's tricky, but it works great.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 06:27:35 AM »
OH SWEET BABY HEYSUS.

Mike I use Fusion on my iMac but I dont have any printers at home so I cant be of much help.  I do know some things were super easy yo get working on fusion and some were near impossible.  Had to seemingly stand a certain way, shirt on side way, wearing a big bird suit(don't ask), and then it all "just works".

I hope you get it sorted out.  I really bought our iMac in hopes of moving to macs in the work environment.  Quickly saw no way I would have the patience.   LOL
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube