Author Topic: Your best decisions and systems  (Read 4329 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Your best decisions and systems
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »
Hey everyone,

After reading and thinking about the systems some have in place(Tonypep in particular as of late, THANKS) it got me really thinking what else could we be doing differently to make things run smoother? Some places the answer is a DTS system, some a big whiteboard, awesome website, shifting schedule, ect. Looking at the calender/schedule Tony had up, to me it looked like a bunch of my sons Legos stacked up. But I bet his guys can walk in and know EXACTLY what they are to do(efficient).

We recently started using a pre registration system, and I don't know what we did without it now! It is really crazy, we run in to new problems. Used screens are backing up, had to add close to 70 additional screens to what we have, jobs need to be planned out a bit better, ect. It reminded me how things changed when we went from taking written orders on carbon paper forms, to a order and quoting system on the computer. Extra time because we would never have to worry about "misplacing" a order again.

What I am getting at, is we by no means were trend setters for some of the efficient improvements we made. Someone else had already been doing it, and probably would of thought we were sooooo behind the times.

SO, what are some improvements, changes or systems you have put in place or had in place that really made you wonder why the h@ll you were doing it the other way?

Also, I used to REFUSE to use email! I kinda cringe when I hear the phone now :D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »
Dip tank, I can't believe I worked without one.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline noiseloops

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 01:00:53 PM »
Well till last Saturday, I was welcomed to the world of pressure washer. Didn't believe what I was going thru with just a garden hose previously.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Your best decisions and systems
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »
"Higher" tension.  Not uber high tension, but simply 25-40 newtons has made such a huge difference in our production speed.  Our quality has improved as well, but the speed at which we turn jobs around has basically doubled.  And the pre-reg system also added a ton to that speed.  So higher tensioned screens, pre-reg system, oh, and thinner thread mesh...boom, what a world of difference.  We never have to double stroke, more and more often we aren't even pfp and we can get 100% opacity with one single stroke and no flash involved.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline virgil427

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »
Taking night classes to learn illy and ps has helped speed up the art side, reten screens are next on the list of improvements

Offline Admiral

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »
The whole reclaim -> ready stencil system

racks for up to 100 screens, dip tank for reclaim, open door and put reclaimed screen on rack

door opens on the other side (in the air lock are fans to speed up drying)

pull in screens coat on wooden stand, put in cabinets that have 2 dryer racks for 40-50 screens, 2 full size doors.  Inside are a couple fans, heater, dehumidifier near the filtered air intake

screens dry in a couple hours or less, 85-90 degrees 15% humidity, exhaust as well

lined up after coated and dried on a wall by mesh count on racks

grabbed when needed for CTS, modified msp3140 without glass

separate washout out the other end of the dark room, 10 feet further is a drying rack for the stencil with a couple fans, then tape/blockout station, then racks for ready to use screens

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 09:02:10 PM »
"Higher" tension.  Not uber high tension, but simply 25-40 newtons has made such a huge difference in our production speed.  Our quality has improved as well, but the speed at which we turn jobs around has basically doubled.  And the pre-reg system also added a ton to that speed.  So higher tensioned screens, pre-reg system, oh, and thinner thread mesh...boom, what a world of difference.  We never have to double stroke, more and more often we aren't even pfp and we can get 100% opacity with one single stroke and no flash involved.
What brand of mesh and what count are using to achieve the 100% opacity and with a single stroke. Would like to know more.
Thanks

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »
3 years ago -> Newman frames. Before my Newman, we could not print plastisol. Now we can.
Arrived last month -> Squeegee sharpener. Now I can print with less pressure. I got the Serilor brand but it has a label on it saying it is manufactured by Encore Engineering.

When does the purchasing of equipment stop?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:38:54 PM »

What is the typical age of retirement in Indonesia?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline noiseloops

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:18:55 AM »
3 years ago -> Newman frames. Before my Newman, we could not print plastisol. Now we can.
Arrived last month -> Squeegee sharpener. Now I can print with less pressure. I got the Serilor brand but it has a label on it saying it is manufactured by Encore Engineering.

Why can't u print plastisol without newmans may I ask?

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 04:26:49 AM »

What is the typical age of retirement in Indonesia?
LOL.... Just want to know because Tony or Allan on the forum stated they would not get a DTS for the time being, and the point he raised makes perfect sense.

some people would go as far as getting a garment folding machine or a passport from M&R.

Why can't u print plastisol without newmans may I ask?
Quality (print sharpness, thickness), and efficiency (wet on wet).

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:41:43 AM »
As far as a folding machine that will only pay itself off if you are doing regular direct to retail work and can actually charge for folding. Passport is a great concept however some may argue that you are missing a QC checkpoint. I know of one co (now defunct) that had 5 of them and, along with it, pallets of misprints. I won't get into the p contest about DTS or CTS. It is an excellent consideration for some; for others it can actually inhibit the process. Currently ROI is debatable IMO

Offline Baron265

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »
One of the best ways to make your shop more efficient is to eliminate nonconformities. Nonconformities are mistakes, rejects or times you missed the mark on an expectation (like a late delivery). Every time something goes wrong (a nonconformity), add the event to a list. Then make a check mark next to the item every time it happens. This is called a check sheet. Before long you will see your biggest problem. This will also prevent you from spending too much time and money on smaller problems.
Paul Schmidt
Regional Manager
Workhorse Products, Inc.
(602)414-3684
pschmidt@workhorseproducts.com

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 09:22:55 AM »
Newmans. By far!!!
I still keep statics around, but I think that switching to Newmans was the best thing I did.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
I have always said since day 1...systems systems systems.  do an audit from the front door to the garment leaving the buliding....ie. you be the work order or work flow. 

start off by order placing then how does the order MOVE through the system.  where are bottle necks where are hiccups where is that where is this?  know the systems and you will be better then you can start working on tweaking those systems. 

sam