Author Topic: Who reclaims your screens???  (Read 9428 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Who reclaims your screens???
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:00:41 PM »
I need to free up some time and frustration. I want to bring in a guy to reclaim screens and so a few other odd jobs around here. I have heard people just having a guy come in one day a week and clean screens. Some shops pay by the screen others by hour. I am really interested in knowing you do to get your screens cleaned?

Offline inkbrigade

Re: Who reclaims your screens???
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:45:48 PM »
We usually have someone come in twice a week. We pay by the hour but have an expectation of how many screens per hour need to be cleaned. Also since i coat i can tell if they did a shitty job or not.

Our guy is in about 10 hrs a week. I let him set his own times to be in, just has to be certain days. Doesn't matter to me what time he comes in as long as i have clean screens the following day.

Days where we don't have enough screens for him (which isn't often) i have a number of other cleaning projects that always need to be done. Odds and ends. I'll take notes during the week of stuff i need done but don't want or have the time to do. This way he has a list when he comes in.

Works good for us.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 02:06:55 AM »
Your screens are your life.
I do my own.
 :o

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 02:33:24 AM »
We usually have someone come in twice a week. We pay by the hour but have an expectation of how many screens per hour need to be cleaned. Also since i coat i can tell if they did a shitty job or not.

How many screens an hour is acceptable?  Do you have them just reclaim them then you degreese them and coat them?

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 08:12:14 AM »
I have a guy that does it.. I use franmar stuff.. so a 3 step process. The way I am set up in the sink area we do 6 at a time..I can do 6 in 45 miinutes..I give him 1 hour..I want him to do a good job.. I coat the screens so if something doesn't look right I let him know and we adjust.

I did tell him that every 6 screens is an hour. I pay him by the hour, but if he wants a break(really a break for only working 2 hours) he can have it ...if it takes him an hour and 10 minutes for 6 then he only gets paid for the hour.

I feel like I do a better job, but I can't stand to do it.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »
 :-*  I have a little fairies with tiny wings that come in and do it when I am not here.  I am not sure how they get in but I have seen them once in a while so I know they are real. 

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »
I reclaim my our screens.  Toss them in the dip tank with the Franmar one step for about 10min, rinse, dehaze, rinse, degrease, rinse, dry and they are done.  I am tired now just talking about it.  I think I will go take a nap.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 05:02:46 PM »
:-*  I have a little fairies with tiny wings that come in and do it when I am not here.  I am not sure how they get in but I have seen them once in a while so I know they are real.

was this taken at your shop??

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
I stretch 'em, coat 'em, shoot 'em, reclaim 'em and bust 'em.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »

I think we can rule out "little" and "tiny wings" all in one felt swoop, lolololol.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 12:09:12 AM »
I recently hired as part timer. Two nights a week he cleans my screens. I now have him learning to coat my screens. Best money I ever spent. Ideally he will be reclaiming, coating and exposing screens. I will see where I go from there.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 06:32:51 AM »
Who reclaims your screens???.............................some guy from my bank.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 09:00:46 AM »

That was not at my shop but hey if he/it can reclaim well?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »
I did tell him that every 6 screens is an hour.

6 screens an hour? That seems way too slow. I know we all clean out screens a little different so it would take longer for some peoples process. I know I clean about 20 to 25 (20X24 manual) screens in an hour. I have not timed me cleaning auto screens. I know it is slower but not that much. I would guess I do 12 to 20 an hour. I don't use a dip tank. I know people that do can soak 6 at a time. they have to be able to do 3 sets of them in an hour??? Am I wrong.

This is my process...

On the press.
remove all ink (The auto screens get taken to the Manual for deINKing)
Then squeegee out all the remaining ink so there is just a fine film on the screen.
remove the tape
After this they sit until reclaimed.

Reclaiming (this is the timed steps)
use GR70 from CCI to remove the remaining ink in the washout booth (Spray on, wipe with scrub brush, let sit,  pressure wash off.
Use ER-35 to remove the emulsion (Spray on wipe with scrub brush, let sit,  pressure wash off.)
go back at it with some GR-70 to remove any ink stains (this stuff works great the screen looks new after using it)
then I set them aside until I have all the screens to that point.
degrease and put them in the drying cabinet until they are dry and ready to be coated.

Am I missing something

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 08:39:39 AM »
We do 6 at a time...its 3 steps..after each step we stack them back to back for a little soak while we are doing the other one's.. When we rinse off each step on each screen we start with the back and go back and forth on the way down and then on the way up..then we flip to the front and do the same..so doing that for 2-3 steps takes time I guess, but the screens come out awesome! If the person reclaimer does not take the time to do it this way and just sprays all around when I go to coat they look like crap.