Author Topic: Smoothing Screen / Smushout  (Read 6839 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Smoothing Screen / Smushout
« on: December 11, 2012, 01:58:56 PM »
Question for the folks using a smoothing screen. Do you have issues with smushing out fine lines, etc?
Especially reversed out stuff?

We tried one a few years back and this was one of the reasons don't use one anymore.
Also, the results barely seemed worth the effort. Certain designs may be worth it though.

Fleece would be a key application, but also most prone to smushout.

Offline Action1

Re: Smoothing Screen / Smushout
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »
Hello Ebscreen:

I am not able to answer your question but this may help you - We have a new utensil that is excellent for smoothing. Many printers on this site have made very positive comments regarding the effectiveness. Type roller squeegee into the upper right search box on this site and you can find the posts.

More Information on Roller Squeegees - http://bamstands.com/Email_Update-1112-02.htm

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »
Hello Action,

Yes, I'm aware of the product. I'd be interested in one if I knew it would fit correctly unlike the
last floodbars and pallets I purchased from you which were not made to the same specs
as either the OE or the previous sets I purchased from you.

Anyone have any non-sales advice?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Strangely the few times I tried it the ink would stick to the teflon sheet, if not glued well it would lift the garment.

Now that I am thinking about this I wonder if teflon sheets have a life span?
"No man is an island"

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »
Prepress

Just as I try to do on opaques and/or fleece, I may compensate for the "smush" and start with a bolder line on reverses and like compensating for dot gain, a smaller line when printing the line itself.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:53:37 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 02:52:09 PM »
Prepress

Just as I try to do on opaques and/or fleece, I may compensate for the "smush" and strart with a bolder line on reverses and like compensating for dot gain, a smaller line when printing the line itself.

Right, and something to consider.

The process is akin to heat pressing after the fact, which can create quite bit more gain than direct printing alone.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 02:54:29 PM »
A smoothing screen is just like heat pressing, without the extra step.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »
Hello Action,

Yes, I'm aware of the product. I'd be interested in one if I knew it would fit correctly unlike the
last floodbars and pallets I purchased from you which were not made to the same specs

Sean,

What was wrong with the pallets. I was about to look into getting some. I don't want to waist money on faulty boards. Action is the only company that sells after market boards for my press. If they are no good then where do I go? I am a little concerned here they didn't fix the boards you got from them? Action is a stand up company from what I have heard, I am sure they will take care of you.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »
The "nub pinch points" that the pallet locking mechanism grabs are quite a bit thinner than both OE and the boards
I ordered several years ago. This allows the board to slide back and forth on the arm, never really locking.

I was told that basically I need to adjust the locking mechanism on all arms of both my presses to accommodate
the one pallet that isn't correct, this advice led me to assume they had encountered this problem before.
They didn't know how to make this adjustment but according to them it is an easy process. (it isn't)

Same thing with the winged floodbars. Original equipment is at a certain height, this is very important and maybe
not apparent to folks that don't print. First floods I ordered matched this height. Then the design changed,
and the next set I ordered, one was at a completely wrong angle, ripping a screen before the rear of it would
even make contact. They replaced that one after I sent pics and the floodbar back.

The rest of the floodbars in that set, though at the correct angle, were not at the same height as the OE or
first floodbars I ordered from Action. This creates problems when switching floodbars out. Say you have your flood depth
set for the new style floodbar (they're shorter) and then put in the old style (taller). Ripped screens again.
the new shorter one's do not allow a hard flood either, usually not a problem (waterbase) but comes up
occasionally.

The height is adjustable to an extent (about 1/8") but I've decided to just have the brackets made so that all
of my floods are the exact same height.

I just want uniformity in my machine accessories. For what I've paid I can expect it.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »
EB we use one on every dark print we run. It works best on more open areas but we are not smashing the crap out of it either. For the best results its a delicate dance to get it perfect. Are you running it directly after the flash?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »
EB we use one on every dark print we run. It works best on more open areas but we are not smashing the crap out of it either. For the best results its a delicate dance to get it perfect. Are you running it directly after the flash?

Hasn't been done here in awhile, but yes, when we were it was right after the flash.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
The "nub pinch points" that the pallet locking mechanism grabs are quite a bit thinner than both OE and the boards
I ordered several years ago. This allows the board to slide back and forth on the arm, never really locking.

I was told that basically I need to adjust the locking mechanism on all arms of both my presses to accommodate
the one pallet that isn't correct, this advice led me to assume they had encountered this problem before.
They didn't know how to make this adjustment but according to them it is an easy process. (it isn't)

Same thing with the winged floodbars. Original equipment is at a certain height, this is very important and maybe
not apparent to folks that don't print. First floods I ordered matched this height. Then the design changed,
and the next set I ordered, one was at a completely wrong angle, ripping a screen before the rear of it would
even make contact. They replaced that one after I sent pics and the floodbar back.

The rest of the floodbars in that set, though at the correct angle, were not at the same height as the OE or
first floodbars I ordered from Action. This creates problems when switching floodbars out. Say you have your flood depth
set for the new style floodbar (they're shorter) and then put in the old style (taller). Ripped screens again.
the new shorter one's do not allow a hard flood either, usually not a problem (waterbase) but comes up
occasionally.

The height is adjustable to an extent (about 1/8") but I've decided to just have the brackets made so that all
of my floods are the exact same height.

I just want uniformity in my machine accessories. For what I've paid I can expect it.

I have the same problem with my winged floods. They are taller then my original floods. Its a pain when switching them back a forth. The pallet thing is a huge problem. You can't adjust the press easily or consistently. Depending on how off they are you will have issues with the foot releasing the boards. I had that issue on 2 arms on my press. from shipping and storage they got tweaked. Its was a easy fix but all my pallets have the same pins. If they were different from set to set You may have to adjust them (not an adjustment as much as a bending of the metal to apply more pressure) I wouldn't mess with that on my press. Our presses are too expensive to be modifying them to use boards that can be easily fixed with the correct brackets.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:34:05 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline Action1

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
Hello Action,

Ebscreen - why slam us? I have no idea what you are referring to. We have an excellent reputation and have never left an issue unresolved that I am aware of. If there was a problem - we would have worked to remedy any issue. I have always said that we support our products and customers better than we get from our vendors. If you would like to contact me privately to discuss any unresolved issues - please pm me or email me at sales@actionengineering.com

Note - manufacturers of screen printing machinery are not always perfect. I would think that the forum members would want our involvement in these posts.   I didn't reply with a long dialogue on the product and only left a link for you to further your investigation if you wished.

signed -
~Slightly Miffed in ATL~

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
Not a slam. I just don't take kindly to sales posts (from anyone) on my questions.
Especially when the person making the sales post won't stand behind the last things
they sold me. My email address is sales@eastbayscreenprinting.com, check your records
and let us know. I've already dealt with you privately.

And we support our products and customers better than we get from our vendors.
it rolls down hill...

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »

Hasn't been done here in awhile, but yes, when we were it was right after the flash.

We use just enough pressure to push the fibers that are left up back into the ink and that is it. Any harder and if the ink is too soft it will spread a hair. We use Quickwhite and that stays pretty stable.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin