Author Topic: Corel Draw installation problem  (Read 10283 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Corel Draw installation problem
« on: April 08, 2013, 05:27:59 PM »
Hey you Windows guys, I need some guidance. I'm trying to install Corel Draw X6 on my office PC running Windows 7. The installer starts up then gives me this message before I can continue (or quit the installation). "Some components of your operation system must be updated before Corel Draw Graphics Suite can be installed. Click CONTINUE to to install the following components, or click CANCEL (to quit installation)." The required component is called "Microsoft.NET Framework 4". What am I supposed to do with this gobbledegook (high tech term)? I need a simple, idiot proof walkthrough, take nothing for granted. Thanks in advance.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline aauusa

Re: Corel Draw installation problem
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Corel Draw installation problem
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »
Click continue

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:46:10 PM »
Click continue

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com

I knew I left something out... I did click Continue, it extracts the files (or so it says) then: "The installation was not completed. Your system has not been modified. To complete the installation at a later time, please run the setup again. Asia click FINISH to quit the setup." Really? WTF does that mean? I've tried 3 or 4 times now, see the extractions, then that message (so how many extractions are now floating around my PC?). Well, to hell with this, I'm going home, I'll start again in the morning, and check in for answers at home. Thanks everybody.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of microshat.

Where's gilligan when you need him?
"No man is an island"

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 09:29:30 PM »
First of all, it's Microshaft, not Microshat, although both terms can probably be used interchangeably.

I think the "continue" in the Corel installation is taking the assumption you have satisfied the .NET software when you click "continue".  .NET Framework will not be included with software from a 3rd party (Corel) Vendor. 

I would use the link from aauusa above and let MicroShaft install the .NET Framework.  Then you should be able to install Corel.

Just my 2c.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »
OK, I went to the website, downloaded the "fix", clicked "Run" to install it, and got this message

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »
Try this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718
That's a standalone installer, as in, it will download an exe file that you run.
Sometimes the web installers can get funky.

Reboot your computer before starting all this, many system files need a reboot before they 'take'.
Perhaps net framework 4 is already in. Windows update should have already installed it for you before.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
I'll try that new download, but I'm not expecting much...

Steve

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
Try this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718
That's a standalone installer, as in, it will download an exe file that you run.
Sometimes the web installers can get funky.

Reboot your computer before starting all this, many system files need a reboot before they 'take'.
Perhaps net framework 4 is already in. Windows update should have already installed it for you before.

They probably don't consider it a high priority update. so if one doesn't use the recommended default  Express Install setting on updates, it has to be done manually.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
It still doesn't work. I went to Windows Update from the start menu and got "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer". That does nothing other than restart, back to square one... maybe I'll just forget about it altogether and see if I can get my money back from Corel. What a complete waste of a day...

Steve

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »
This may sound obvious, but are you logged in as a user with administrative permissions?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
7 got pretty pushy about that sometimes.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 09:08:02 PM »
Aye, my amphibious friend.
The extra security...it's all with good intentions, but it can be a royal pain as well.

The whole thing with 'windows update service stopped' has me thinking I may be on the right track.

It's not a wasted day Steve, if you stick with it, and find a solution.

Net framework is..it's alot of extra instruction code that helps developers write programs that work with windows.
Kinda like..say C++ language, not exactly but similar results.
Look it up on wikipedia for a bunch of tech-speak.
Corel should have it on the install disk, the same thing I linked too.

So..this leads me to believe your user account won't let you do what needs to be done.
( of course, I'm sittin here, and you're sittin there in front of it, so.. ??? )
Just trying to help.

Net framework,
Microsoft constantly updates it, but many developers have been using older versions as well, since software can take years to create.
Hence, your initial install doesn't put it in, cause it knows it will change.
Direct X works similar, for what windows will bother installing ( the whole database is wasted disk space, the installer will grab what you need out of it. )
Don't be suprised if you have DirectX 11 installed, for example, and you put an older game, or some other software that directly interfaces with your graphics card,
and windows starts installing what it needs from older versions.

That's likely all about as clear as mud.
 :-\
Hope it made some sense.

Cheers.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »
This may sound obvious, but are you logged in as a user with administrative permissions?

Well, let's see, I turn the computer on, and I'm in. I have NEVER (for emphasis, not yelling) had to log in as anything. So, my answer to your question is, "I don't really know." I do see the next post, I'll read it over and see if it helps, thanks.

Steve