Author Topic: Cleaning roller frames  (Read 5679 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Cleaning roller frames
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
I definitely agree that consistent tension helps setups. Other than control of the tension, I think the Shurloc frames are the happy medium between s-thread statics and rollers. Those panels stretch to a pretty consistent tension without the added maintenance of the rollers. I was fine with the s-thread statics but since that mesh is so sensitive and prone to nicks/holes, I like being able to pop in a fresh panel right away as appose to waiting on new static frames to get re stretched. I'm a small shop as well and the majority of my jobs are run on 150 and 180 mesh. It's nice to have less space taken up by screens and just having a stock of high mesh panels that I can throw on when needed and then pop back off when I don't. Everyones situation and circumstances are different but this is what works for me. Not taking sides here, I totally see the pros/cons to all the frame options. I don't think there is a right or wrong frame to use, as long as it fits in with your shops workflow and produces the quality you're happy with.

I can really see the positives in those.  Especially the quick change ability for mesh sizes.  Can do it with Newmans but is not as easy and quick for sure.  Can you post any info on the approximate tensions you are getting?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »
I definitely agree that consistent tension helps setups. Other than control of the tension, I think the Shurloc frames are the happy medium between s-thread statics and rollers. Those panels stretch to a pretty consistent tension without the added maintenance of the rollers. I was fine with the s-thread statics but since that mesh is so sensitive and prone to nicks/holes, I like being able to pop in a fresh panel right away as appose to waiting on new static frames to get re stretched. I'm a small shop as well and the majority of my jobs are run on 150 and 180 mesh. It's nice to have less space taken up by screens and just having a stock of high mesh panels that I can throw on when needed and then pop back off when I don't. Everyones situation and circumstances are different but this is what works for me. Not taking sides here, I totally see the pros/cons to all the frame options. I don't think there is a right or wrong frame to use, as long as it fits in with your shops workflow and produces the quality you're happy with.

I can really see the positives in those.  Especially the quick change ability for mesh sizes.  Can do it with Newmans but is not as easy and quick for sure.  Can you post any info on the approximate tensions you are getting?

Absolutely. My 150-S threads that have been printed on and reclaimed multiple times (don't have an exact count) are settling between 18-20 newtons. I know that isn't optimal for a lot of people and they want their 150s at 25ish newtons, but I've had no issues with them being in a range anywhere from 17-25 newtons.

200-S mesh is holding strong at around 26 newtons. I have 180 panels coming in next week so I'm not sure what those will be at but I assume similar to the 200-S. I just started adding these frames in little by little so my stock and mesh selection is still growing. I'm testing out some endurance panels as well.

These were about the same tensions I was getting on my statics, although the higher mesh counts seem to be tighter and retain their tension with the shurloc panels. They do sell retension bars that I haven't messed with yet. I might test them when I start to fall under the recommended tension levels.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 02:12:20 PM by Nation03 »

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »
And Brett, If you have M3s you are looking to sell, let me know. I never seem to have enough
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »
And Brett, If you have M3s you are looking to sell, let me know. I never seem to have enough
Brett is a good dude Dave, you'd love to meet him. His story of how he's grown is pretty amazing. We got to hang a lot when we were at Greg's for the last Joe Clarke conference. That for sure will have a special memory and meaning there.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
Locked, why is this thread locked?
Because it just deteriorated into a fight beteeen two members, going on and on and on, offering no redeeming value except to those particular participants.
Any questions about the care and feeding of, or just rants or raves about roller frames will be better served as a new thread.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?